3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission grind when put in reverse 08 1500 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 AM
nickb04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post transmission grind when put in reverse 08 1500 Hemi

I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing these issues. So I bought my 2008 ram 1500 big horn edition with a 5.7 liter Hemi about 1 1/2 years ago and noticed a noise coming from my transmission when i put the truck into reverse. It's an obnoxious grind when ever i put it in reverse. I took the truck back to the dealership i bought it from and they checked it out and said that Dodge is aware of the problem but haven't found a fix for it. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it??? I should probably mention the truck is an automattic not a standard guys. Thanks

Last edited by nickb04; 01-22-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

does it happen in a roll? Is there a soft spot in your clutch when you engage reverse? Some of the problems you may be having could be a synchronization issue that plagues a lot of manual vehicles because they tend to grind in reverse. If your dodge does it all the time and has trouble engaging then id worry but if it only does it sometimes i would workon finding the best point at which the clutch pedal is easiest on the reverse to engage. Another fix could be a stronger clutch with a softer but stronger clutch plate. Hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 PM
nickb04

Originally Posted by highrevr/tflea
does it happen in a roll? Is there a soft spot in your clutch when you engage reverse? Some of the problems you may be having could be a synchronization issue that plagues a lot of manual vehicles because they tend to grind in reverse. If your dodge does it all the time and has trouble engaging then id worry but if it only does it sometimes i would workon finding the best point at which the clutch pedal is easiest on the reverse to engage. Another fix could be a stronger clutch with a softer but stronger clutch plate. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. the problem isnt the clutch though. I probably should have mentioned it was an automatic sorry. Do you have any Ideas on what could cause this. thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

WTF its an automatic??!!! Torque converter bolt sheared of in the flexplate? Clutch pack burnt up? That shouldnt be happening in an automatic ! Are you throwing any codes?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 AM
nickb04

Originally Posted by highrevr/tflea
WTF its an automatic??!!! Torque converter bolt sheared of in the flexplate? Clutch pack burnt up? That shouldnt be happening in an automatic ! Are you throwing any codes?
I said the exact thing when i took it in to Carl Burger Dodge in San Diego. I told them that noise is not normal and i spent a lot of money on this truck and i would it expect it to be problem free. They had a mechanic look at it and called me back about 3 hours later and told me it's normal. I don't buy that at all. But no codes or anything coming up its just an obnoxious noise and sounds like ****. I'm covered by warranty but i just want it fixed. I wrote to corporate and they told me to take it back and have them look at it again but i cant loose my truck for a day if they're just going to call me back and tell me it's fine just keep driving it and we will call you when we find out an answer and fix to the problem. I love the truck the power is awesome but i don't trust the tranny at all.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Did he take the transmission out? About the only to tell is to take it out...He might try replacing the valve body if its not pumping correct if the Trans fluid is contaminated or if there is debris it may be causing the symptoms if there is no other explanation...which can pretty much lead to the grinding noise if it persists because it pumps the fluid to the clutch packs. If your dealer wont replace or service the TRANS take it to another Dodge dealer for warrany and if they wont fix it continually drive with the grind and burn it out.

There is also a possibility for your CV axle in a Front Wheel Drive or all wheel drive to sort of pop out with the wheel turned due to a busted tie rod and sway link combination but thats very rare and you would know if it was by the ride quality and as a mechanic he would too.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It is a pretty common occurrence. "Normal noise" according to Dodge.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

The Center for Auto Safety keeps detailed statistics and reports on safety and operational concerns associated with specific car models. According to a report about Dodge Dakota trucks, common issues included noisy shifting, delayed gear shifting and grinding sounds during normal use. A report on all three models of the Dodge Ram, including the Ram 1500, the Ram 2500 and the Ram 3500, lists failure to work in below freezing temperatures, delayed gear shifting and noise at lower RPM levels as common transmission issues. All of these problems are more prevalent in Dodge trucks utilizing automatic transmissions. If your Dodge truck experiences any of these problems, refer to owner manual guidelines on troubleshooting principles, or seek the help of a professional mechanic.

this was taken from a magazine post

Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I wonder if it has to do with this...perhaps lucas oil sells anything to help with freezing weather if the cold is the case?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 AM
nickb04

Hey thanks for all your help Highrev i really appreciate it. I don't think the cold air is a problem because i live in San Diego I wish that were the case because i would actually have an explanation for this. I just have a hard time believing that this is a "normal noise". I understand Dodge is hard up on cash but so is everyone else and I work hard for my money and spent a lot of money on my truck and now I'm regretting buying a Dodge. I guess i will continue fighting with dodge on this untill it is fixed because thats all i can do. I think the next step is to get everyone experiencing this problem to complain as well. Maybe that could get Dodge to step up to the plate and fix their mistakes. Thanks for everyone who has helped i do appreciate it, and again if anyone else is annoyed with this noise and thinks it should be corrected write a letter to Dodge corporate offices so maybe they will put out a much needed recall. heres the corporate web site https://www.chryslergroupllc.com/contact_us. I found the easiest way to contact them was email. thanks again

Quick Reply: transmission grind when put in reverse 08 1500 Hemi