3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finally got to put my truck to work yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 AM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finally got to put my truck to work yesterday...

I headed over to my hunting property and was having my buddy meet me there..... well when i got there i saw the land owner about 200 yards out on his backhoe digging a drainage trench. beeped and waved and kept driving to his shop where we park. about 5 mins later my buddy pulls up and asks if i saw Jack on the backhoe. i said yup. he said he looked stuck and he needs help bad. i called jack on the phone and sure enough the ground gave out and the machine tipped/slid into the trench almost crushing/drowning him! he got real lucky.

i grab his towing chain and head over to him and about an hour and a half later we finally got his machine out. i dont have a winch, so i had to hook the chain around the frame of my factory hitch. aired down the tires, put her in 4-low, and started pulling... did nothing... just spun all 4 tires. the ground was too frozen. so only option was the ol' reverse and gun-it foward technique. man it was awesome!! i felt like mel gibson in leathal weapon ripping down the russians house! the truck was jerking all over the place but finally got it out... at first i was nervous that it wouldve ripped the hitch off, or destroy my trans.... or atleast snap the chain... nope. there was damage done to the backhoe but nothin on the truck... just mud everywhere. it was sweet. made me proud of the truck... even my buddy said "now hes gonna have a boner for a week!"

sorry no pics, but i just wanted to share and say the trucks are f-n built like a brick-sh-- house! DODGE RULES!!!

Last edited by jk360; 01-23-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice. and you just waived to him...haha

Also, reverse is much better for yaking things out. Gotta get some front towhooks on that beast! I've been looking myself but everyone wants new prices for their used rusty towhooks becuase shipping is killer.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
jk360
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog

Also, reverse is much better for yaking things out. Gotta get some front towhooks on that beast! I've been looking myself but everyone wants new prices for their used rusty towhooks becuase shipping is killer.
yeah when i first saw him he was fine! everything happened in that 5 minutes i was waiting for my buddy! literally he said about 2 mins after i passed him is when things went wrong...

and yeah i want the tow hooks also, but i thought they wouldnt work with a body lift??

Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, no worky with a lift. You'd have to custom fab something, like cut through the chrome face of the bumper and have them sticking through. You could prob do it cheaper than buying factory hooks. Only prob is making your cuts in the bumper nice looking.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Plasma torch will do that for ya

I havent put tow hooks in the front yet because I dont know how Im going to do it yet. No tow hooks sure makes it difficult to use a ****** block when using the winch. LOL, oh well

Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog

Thank God my off road edition came with the two hooks...and I've used them before too!!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:09 PM
kicker417
Veteran

yeah my truck also has factory towhooks

Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tow hooks will bolt on with a body lift... the part they bolt onto gets raised with the bumper. but i wouldnt do any heavy yanking with them because the bumper is raised...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:49 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres no possible way the tow hooks are mounted to anything but the frame, which stays put with a body lift. if for some reason they do move with a body lift, major fail on dodge's part for the towhook placement

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
wyseguy77
Captain

I have a 3.7. Tow...what's that?

Quick Reply: Finally got to put my truck to work yesterday...