3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truetrac Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010 | 03:36 PM
cheapbeater
|
Record Breaker
Default Truetrac Install?

Alright guys, I know truetrac questions have been beat to death but I searched and still have questions.
I am seriously looking at getting a DTT because as everyone knows the stocker is junk. I also have to replace my parking brake pads BEFORE summer (i want a parking brake when i start pulling the boat). To change the parking brake pads I have to pull out the axel shafts . So why not put a locker in there while i have it all apart?
Heres the big question... CAN I INSTALL A DTT MYSELF? I have seen other lockers such as the powertrax advertised that they can be installed by the everyday backyard mechanic... whats different about the DTT? I'm not changing gears so i shouldnt have to worry about backlash, etc... right? And as far as i know i dont remove the ring or pinion from the diff.
You guys know that i am a decent wrencher and i can get my hands on just about any tool i need but i am not familiar with gears and setting them up.
Soooo.... what do you think? Can a backyard mechanic install a DTT or should i pay a couple hundy to have a shop do it?
Dont just tell me to have a shop do it, I want to know WHY I cant do it...

thanks

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:49 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

You can do it yourself w/ the right tools, see here http://www.*********.com/forums/show...=282164&page=2 post 39 the guy did it (just replace the *'s w/ "dodge talk" w/ no spaces). He lists the tools you would need and explains how he did it. I really wish I had skipped regearing after all the trouble I had and just put a TT in myself like this.

Old 01-24-2010 | 08:27 PM
cheapbeater
|
Record Breaker

i wish i could find an install video or at least a picture install in a 9.25 axle

Old 01-24-2010 | 08:54 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Just get a copy of the factory manual which has info and illustrations for the tear down and set up of the differential. You're gonna have to pull the carrier and ring gear and then put the ring gear on the TT along w/ new carrier bearings and put it back in the case and set the backlash.

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:24 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Google it. There is info on what you want to know. I changed the carrier on the Ramcharger I used to have and got all the info off the internet. You can do it and Yes, you will have to set the backlash. The ring gear will come out with the carrier and you will have to put it on the DTT.

Old 01-24-2010 | 10:05 PM
cheapbeater
|
Record Breaker

yeah, i've been reading for hours. lol. and i now know i have to remove the ring gear... i think i can do it if i make the tool to adjust the backlash... i'm gunna have to keep researching...

Old 01-25-2010 | 03:01 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Yeah, I borrowed one then made my own.

Old 01-25-2010 | 03:03 AM
cheapbeater
|
Record Breaker

got the specs on that tool bear? like what size bolt to use on the end...

Old 01-25-2010 | 03:15 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I'm at work right now but will get all that to you in a PM tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2010 | 10:53 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

You gotta pull the axel shaft to replace the parking brake pad? No wonder it took me hours. Got so frustrated, I only did the side where the pad came apart. It did not help that AutoZone's pads would not fit, had to go oem.

Quick Reply: Truetrac Install?