3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time bomb..

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time bomb..

I had my water pump replaced under waranty. While the orginal pump was going defective I run my truck out of coolant in the Rad and reserve tank, I'm positive thier still was coalant in the block and that I did not drive my truck to the point of over heating the engine.

Now Coolant is disapearing, thiers no leaks on the hose clamps. After my truck was repaired, coolant was just shy of the fill mark on the reserve tank, truck was not running when I checked.

Now coolant level in the tank is down to a est 2 litre, checking when hot or cold makes no diferance, but the Rad is full ( check when cold )

I had to add greean antifreaze to get the truck into the dealer, cooling system was flushed when water pump replaced.

What is mopar antifreaze called when you go to a parts store? I can't find the proper anti freaze for my truck. In the owners manual. all it says is use mopar antifreaze..

Every clerk I talk to is trying to sell me dexcool ( GM )

so far I'm not burning antifreaze out the EX., but I woundering if I'm gonig to have head gasket issues....

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well when you first start a motor the coolant level drops in the rad until you fill it all the way, maybe the reserve had just enough to fill your rad back up? I prolly sound like a dumbass but I helped change a rad on a caddy few years back and when he filled the rad full he started the motor and the level dropped and he added more.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

when the engine is not running, coolant returns to the resrve tank, when the engine is running, coolant is circulating threw the block, water pump and the Rad.

THiers allways coolant in the Rad, but, less and less in the reserve tank, it has only been four days since the water pump was repalced, I would think ( and that's my fault ) that the dodge experts would have run the truck to check for leaks and replace coolant to the right level.

less and less coolant is returning to the resrve tank, I can't find coolant at any auto parts store thats the same as Dodges antifreaze, I will get to a dodge dealer and buy it thier...

Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
disturbedgator
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it doesnt HAVE to be mopar coolant, as long as its a HOAT you should be fine for now. but in the long run, after you fix the leak its recommended to run mopar.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

yup, HOAT is what you want. tell the dealer to do a leakdown test... they should have done one when they did the waterpump

Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Auto value in Calgary sells mopar antifreaze.

I topped up the reserve tank and so far I'm not lossing coolant, perhaps the tech at the dodge dealer was stingy on the antifreaze.

Quick Reply: Time bomb..