3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bleed the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleed the radiator?

I just changed my thermostat, flushed the radiator, and filled it up new juice.
I didn't see anything in the 'structure' that allows for bleeding off air so you don't get a bubble in the block...
I searched on here and only found threads dealing with bleeding brakes or what not.

So does this system not require bleeding?
If so, where's the stinkin bleeder valve?

2003 5.9L engine....

Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there isnt a bleeder valve that i know of. to bleed it, keep the radiator cap off and start the motor. with the reserve bottle and radiator topped off, let it get to operating temp. when the thermostat opens, the system will "burp". air pockets will come out the top of the radiator and the fluid will go down. top it off again. be advised it MIGHT take doing this more than once to get all the air out

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

Cool. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
la ram azul

Will the heat go pass the half point???.. thanks

Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heater needs to be on and at the hottest setting. It'll help to have the truck sitting nose-up as much as possible. The 'stat will make sure the motor heats up at least to the point of the rating on the 'stat.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:00 PM
kri

Hey guys, I have a 2010 dodge journey. Radiator cracked, replaced that and the thermostat. Heater still blowing cold air (sometimes it warms up, but usually gets cold again) and the temp gauge bounces up more often then before. It hasn't overheated since the radiator cracked while driving it, but the gauge seems to get close and I have to keep putting coolant in it. I can't find a bleed screw either? I did try to burp the system for several hours.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
there isnt a bleeder valve that i know of. to bleed it, keep the radiator cap off and start the motor.
You also want the front end pointing uphill or on ramps so the air doesn't get trapped. Also, not sure if your truck's heater core has a valve (mine does not), so turn your heat temp to hot, so the core is bled too.

**EDIT.... Nevermind, I just replied to 2010. Sheesh! Info still stands tho.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-11-2019 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kri (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM
kri

thank you. I have had the heater full blast and hot, haven't tried up hill - i'll try that next. Do you think it could be the heater core?

Old 12-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by kri
thank you. I have had the heater full blast and hot, haven't tried up hill - i'll try that next. Do you think it could be the heater core?
There are multiple possibilities, but try the easiest first. What temp thermostat did you put in?

How bad was the old radiator looking if you happened to peer inside at the fins? If it was nasty and clogged from bad coolant, tap water, etc., that might be the case for the heater core too. There are heater hoses going to the heater core which you can pull and run a heater core flush (radiator flush) thru. Don't disconnect the hoses at the firewall as the inlet pipes are very malleable there. (Note: I don't know much about the Journey setup, but this is the case for most cars).

How to flush heater core ... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ore-flush.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-11-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: bleed the radiator?