3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to do a cam swap on a HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011 | 09:18 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I do !! If weed don't need it.. ...By the way Weed..I wondered for a long time who I would get to change my Cam.when I'm ready,Problem Salved Thank you , I'll be doing it myself..Thanks to this Thread....

Old 01-06-2011 | 09:45 AM
weedahoe
|
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well you could always bring it down here and I could change it all for you. Ive got everything to do it and have done a more than a few. PM sent BTW. Anyone else who wants this tool please LMK.

If anyone is in the process or market to change a cam, you will need to change the valve springs also.

You can do this two ways, either on the block or off the block.

If you pull the heads to do it you need to replace the head bolts, head gaskets, intake gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets.

Or you can use the tool I have to change the springs on the heads on the block and leave all of that mentioned above alone.

I have that tool for sale so if you are interested please let me know.

Old 01-14-2011 | 12:27 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I Have a light tic- on the EGR side of my motor..I'm thinking it's probably a lifter not pumping up as tight as it should..So when I get into changing my cam and springs- I'm also going to switch to Roller lifters, Rockers and roller cam..This should eliminate the tap..My EGR is not hooked up..Does anyone know the Pro's- and - Cons, about the EGR, and what it might effect by completely doing away with it on my 2004 Motor....
Thanks....

Old 01-14-2011 | 01:49 PM
weedahoe
|
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

no EGR usually relates to less MPG and you already have roller rockers in the engine BTW. I understand why you ant to replace them. Its just the way you are saying it makes me think you think you have flat tappet lifters

Old 01-15-2011 | 05:45 AM
abarmby
Champion

WOW weed....those are great pics bud.
Really shows you where the lifters are seated.
Al.

Old 01-17-2011 | 10:46 AM
weedahoe
|
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

yeah, I get nervous every time I spin the cam by hand and pull it out in fear of one of the lifters sliding down and preventing the new cam from going in but never have had any issues. Always nervous though.....lol

Old 01-30-2011 | 08:39 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Hey Weed-I changed my oil from 5w-30 ..Synthetic to 5w-30, Valvaline and the tic went away..I'm guessing my Hemi don't like Synthetic oil OR the Wal-Mart synthetic oil isn't all it's supposed to be..Iv'e also noticed an increase in fuel economy..I don't know how oil had anything to do with that- but I was glad to see it..

Old 01-30-2011 | 08:50 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Thanks for the time to do a writeup on this. Very helpful instructions/pictures.

Old 02-08-2011 | 07:59 PM
hemibee

hi weed i live in easley sc. i dont know how close that would bee to you but iam getting the 6.1 cam & stuff when i get my tax money back in about 2 months. was wondering if i drove my rumble bee over there. could you help me do this ? this is first with cam swap.
would this summer bee good 2011. thanks joe

Old 02-09-2011 | 08:24 AM
weedahoe
|
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

PM sent - I would love to help

Quick Reply: How to do a cam swap on a HEMI