3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Nav. will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
ccgRAMrod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Nav. will it fit?

I have a '03 Ram and was wanting to buy the factory navigation for it, I found one from a '05 will it fit my '03 and what does it all take to hook up? Just plug it in and go?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll need a bigger bezel to accomodate the larger size radio. From what I have heard they aren't many made for those years. And no, it's not a plug in and go. You need to do a bit of wiring i'd imagine even on the older years where there is no canbus.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

Canbus? Sorry Im new to all this, what do you think it will all need?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ccgRAMrod
Canbus? Sorry Im new to all this, what do you think it will all need?
Canbus for dummy's if you think I'm being mean, then here is what Canbus is in depth.
Now you know I wasn't being mean....lol

Honestly, You can get aftermarket Nav units practically new or brnad new for the same price as a stock nav unit and it would bemuch easier to install. I have a Pioneer Avic and they are going for about $250-300 used online.
Most of the work will be in the bezel to accomodate the larger radio. Wiring will depend on the unit you purchase, but factory units aren't color coded like aftermarket units are so it makes life a hassle.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

Damn your not kidding! That's all Greek yo me! I was just curious because I found a Nav. for my truck out of a '05 and was just thinking it would plug in and go. Oh well guess I'll re-think that. I new i'd need a new trim piece but not all the rest.

thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrong, wrong and wrong. A nav (RB1/RB4) from a 2005 (which is what he said) WILL work in a 2003. You will need the antenna and the disc. The bezel is the same size. It's anything 06 and newer that will not retrofit into anything 02-05. For example, this is designed to work in our trucks. Same as is this will. You will not need a new bezel. Now this will NOT fit or work in your truck. If there are any arguments, I will be more than happy to post the parts manuals that show these items available for those years. If you've found a good one and you want it, then go for it. Just make sure you get the antenna.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM
shadow11
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Wrong, wrong and wrong. A nav (RB1/RB4) from a 2005 (which is what he said) WILL work in a 2003. You will need the antenna and the disc. The bezel is the same size. It's anything 06 and newer that will not retrofit into anything 02-05. For example, this is designed to work in our trucks. Same as is this will. You will not need a new bezel. Now this will NOT fit or work in your truck. If there are any arguments, I will be more than happy to post the parts manuals that show these items available for those years. If you've found a good one and you want it, then go for it. Just make sure you get the antenna.
What is the difference between the RB1 and the RB4? I want to add this to my truck but want to make sure I get the better one.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by shadow11
What is the difference between the RB1 and the RB4? I want to add this to my truck but want to make sure I get the better one.
One shows an actual map, and the other just shows turn arrows. But, I'm not sure which is which. I think the RB1 has the maps, and the RB4 has just the turn arrows.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ram5.7
One shows an actual map, and the other just shows turn arrows. But, I'm not sure which is which. I think the RB1 has the maps, and the RB4 has just the turn arrows.
Exactly right, the RB1 was made by Alpine and is a little fancier. RB4 is just arrows and turns, no map. The European only RB3 actually does traffic rerouting (but I don't think it works in the states).

Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Wrong, wrong and wrong. A nav (RB1/RB4) from a 2005 (which is what he said) WILL work in a 2003. You will need the antenna and the disc. The bezel is the same size. It's anything 06 and newer that will not retrofit into anything 02-05.
So your syaing he can plug'n'pay a 02-05 nav unit in a non-nav vehicle with no other wires to splice? That was his main concern I believe, not so much the bezel. I completely forgot they had din-1/2 sized units for the prior models. I thought they were only used in minivans and the PT's

Quick Reply: Factory Nav. will it fit?