3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cummins Engine Swap, trying to make PCM understand changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 10:00 AM
Chris Mallett
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by truckin151
Ditto...I was not expecting to see a RCSB, that thing is just going to be sweet.

As for the gauges and PCM tuning Im with everyone else on this, go pull everything you can out of a donor CTD truck, gauges/wiring harness/etc. It will still "look" stock on the inside and will probably save you a bit of time and effort trying to wire everything together.

Good luck man, cant wait to see/hear that thing rip down the street.
This won't jive though. The dash would have to be out of a second gen, since the 12ver came from a 95. The 48RE is from an 06, hence making the shift indicator correct. The donor rig being a 95, the trans was a 47RH in it. Kinda a catch 22, but pretty sure it can be fixed through wiring and fooling.

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
a stock tach reads to 7k? and a diesel redlines at 4k?... the tach is going to barely move... it would be much better with a tach that doesnt read so high too... just a thought...
I can't remember what my 05 tach reads, but I think it is only 4K. The 12ver has potential of 5K, but even with 4K governor springs it will free rev to 4500 or so.

Old 02-22-2010 | 12:18 AM
Styx
Amateur

This is a great project. I thought of doing the same sort of thing with my 02 but the wife would **** at the thought of me cutting up "her" truck...lol...
I think your on the right path with the grooves in the pulley...The sensor will need to be the right distance away to read properly. The grooves need to be evenly spaced and the same depth...
Is there not a provision to access one of the timing gears on the 12V???
You could pull a signal off that and see what the duty cycle of the sensor output is??? Or how about the torque converter or flex plate???
Re-number your tack when you get the signal off something and you can make it read what ever you want... There has to be a graphics shop near you that could make a custom overlay???
I'll figure more later it's almost bed time and it's been a hella weekend...
Cheers and good luck...

Old 02-22-2010 | 09:24 PM
Chris Mallett
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by Styx
This is a great project. I thought of doing the same sort of thing with my 02 but the wife would **** at the thought of me cutting up "her" truck...lol...
I think your on the right path with the grooves in the pulley...The sensor will need to be the right distance away to read properly. The grooves need to be evenly spaced and the same depth...
Is there not a provision to access one of the timing gears on the 12V???
You could pull a signal off that and see what the duty cycle of the sensor output is??? Or how about the torque converter or flex plate???
Re-number your tack when you get the signal off something and you can make it read what ever you want... There has to be a graphics shop near you that could make a custom overlay???
I'll figure more later it's almost bed time and it's been a hella weekend...
Cheers and good luck...

Update. The cuts in the balancer has worked. Perfectly. Now it still starts and stops reading when it feels like it (key cycle). If you start it and it works, stall the engine and it will not work again until it decides. This is in the software I am 99% definate, we are waiting on a fellow that told us he would bring up a DRB-III to read the PCM.

Good idea on the overlay, but it reads right. Later in life this engine may see 5K, so we will leave it alone. Chris

Old 02-24-2010 | 09:59 PM
davb673
Veteran

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
Holy God, a RCSB with a cummins... that somebich is gunna rip... sorry, i'm really no help... but i love what you're doin with the truck
I have seen pix of another conversion like this. My hat is off to you also. No help, as I don't know much about the PCM wiring, but I can't help but admire the project...

Old 03-22-2010 | 03:11 AM
Chris Mallett
|
Rookie

Been a while, but we have still been working on this. The tach is now working everytime, figured out what we needed. Now the trans is shifting a little funny, may be the cable out of adjustment, could be bad VB stuff, may be programming. Not sure yet. Still striving for perfect

Old 03-22-2010 | 03:19 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

So you were able to throw the DRB-III on there? Which trans are you running?

Old 03-23-2010 | 04:04 AM
Chris Mallett
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
So you were able to throw the DRB-III on there? Which trans are you running?
Have not tried a DRB-III due to no one willing to help us. Trans is an 06 48re without the TV motor, just a cable.

Old 03-23-2010 | 03:35 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Mind me asking how much this engine ran for?

Old 03-24-2010 | 04:16 AM
Chris Mallett
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jonhyboi
Mind me asking how much this engine ran for?
I don't understand the question. How much was paid for the engine or how many miles? Or how long we have ran it?

Sorry, its early/late, not real sure. Going to bed, night shift is kicking my hind parts

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:27 PM
3.9cummins

Please explain the answer. I put a 3.9 cummins in mine and got the same issues. How many signals do you need to keep the computer happy?

Quick Reply: Cummins Engine Swap, trying to make PCM understand changes