3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water under Oil Cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
butch1581
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water under Oil Cap

Anyone get water/moisture under their oil fill cap on the HEMI? Its winter here, and I do park my truck in my heated garage everynight. Is the moisture being caused from hot/cold? There is quite a bit under there everytime I check it. Could it have anything to do with the fact that my crankcase breather hose does not tie into my intake anymore. (I just put a small filter on the end when I put my CAI on) Thanks for the input!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

it is normal but the hose from the CAI is also supposed to be connected to the nipple on the oil filler. This causes a small amount of suction to get most of that back out. The bad thing is that means it gets sucks into the engine but the good thing is you can add a catch can to "catch" most of it before it gets in there.

But overall it is normal.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

i agree with weed ,,,,but if its a milky substance your in trouble

Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Sounds like your taking short trips and not getting the motor hot enough to burn out the condensation. Common problem, especially in winter.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
butch1581
Captain

weed:
I know what you are saying about the connection. Right now the hose connects from the nipple on the oil filler and just goes 8" to a small filter. How would I put a catch can in there? I assume I would need to tie into my CAI again to create the vacuum? Is there any other way to get vacuum or somthing on that thing?

There is no milky substance, just lots of water/condensation.

Maybe I could tape one of those Silica packs in the top of my oil cap to absorb the moisture!

Here is what it looks like:

Last edited by butch1581; 02-02-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by butch1581
weed:
I know what you are saying about the connection. Right now the hose connects from the nipple on the oil filler and just goes 8" to a small filter. How would I put a catch can in there? I assume I would need to tie into my CAI again to create the vacuum? Is there any other way to get vacuum or somthing on that thing?

There is no milky substance, just lots of water/condensation.

Maybe I could tape one of those Silica packs in the top of my oil cap to absorb the moisture!

Here is what it looks like:

You have the right idea about adding in the catch can. It would have a hose coming from the oil filler nipple to the can, the from the can to the CAI.

You picture and your description shows and tells the problem though. Like you said, it goes from the oil filler nipple to the little filter. So where is the vacuum at that is needed to pull that moisture and oil vapors out? All you have is a filter that allows it to vent and not over pressurize. But you need a vacuum.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 AM
butch1581
Captain

how does everyone else do it with a cold air intake? does everyone have something tapped into the CAI? I just dont want to drill into the CAI if I dont have to. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by butch1581
how does everyone else do it with a cold air intake? does everyone have something tapped into the CAI? I just dont want to drill into the CAI if I dont have to. Thanks again.
Mine is done just like yours except I don't have much condensation under the oil cap. The catch can Idea is a good one if you wanted to rehook the line back to the intake, if not then just wipe the cap off and dont worry about it. BTW my CAI already had a place for the vacuum hose to go, yours don't?

Last edited by BEAR; 02-04-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Skywalker

I have a Volant air intake and also have water under the oil cap. But I also had condinsation with the stock air intake. This is all while driving 25+ miles to work every day!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Butch, as Bear said, you should have a hole and a hose that goes from the CAI to the oil filler

As for everyone else with this issue, how many cars cranking up in the morning have you seen with small amounts of water dripping from the tail pipes?

How you do think it gets there and where do you think it is coming from? Just some food for thought.

Quick Reply: Water under Oil Cap