3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle cable rubbing/replacment

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:19 AM
CubanHemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cable rubbing/replacment

Hey guys,

Got an 2004 Hemi 4x4 and I recently noticed my throttle pedal getting harder to operate. Thought it was just me but when I operate the pedal by hand, it feels like the cable is rubbing internally or right at the firewall. I checked on the other end at the module and it feels just fine so I know its the cable. Has anyone ever replaced one? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uh... well... its a drive by wire throttle so there shouldnt be any cables...
there might be bushings where the pedal pivots that could be worn...? is it rubbing on the floor mat?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

And my 04 is a drive by wire type so you really need to check it. I would like to think yours would be the same

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
CubanHemi
Amateur

Not rubbing on the floormat. I know about the drive by wire type. There is actually a cable the runs from the top of the pedal, thru the firewall, and the over to the throttle module underneath the battery. Then that module is connected to the throttle body. Its really kind of neat. I would have thought the module would have been pedal mounted but its not. Any way, my cable is actually rubbing somewhere that I can't see. I feel it, just can't see it. Should I just take it in to the stealership? Should I replace it myself?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Take it to the stealership, mine had to be replaced a while back and it was fairly cheap. I'd have to find the receipt to give ya an exact amount but it was in and out in less than an hour. What is the pedal doing exactly? Mine was like completely stuck and when you tried to give it gas the pedal bent enough to barely give it throttle. When I lifted the pedal I had slack in the cab on the cable and I was able to pull the cable at the throttle body and lift the pedal. I think it stretched or something, I don't remember exactly.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You might wanna look at and see where that is going from and to because I just looked all through the 04 parts catalog and see nothing about a cable for the TB.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
CubanHemi
Amateur

Like I said this cable runs from the top of the pedal to an electric module mounted in the engine compartment, on the inside of the left fender under the battery. There is no cable going to the TB. I'm assuming this module contains all the electronics for the throttle by wire system. The cable comes out right next to the brake booster. You actually have to climb up into the engine compartment to see it.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Oh I got you. I know what youre talking about now. Here is something to help you

ACCELERATOR PEDAL
POSITION SENSOR
DESCRIPTION

The Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) assembly is located under the vehicle battery tray. A cable connects the assembly to the accelerator pedal. A plastic cover with a movable door is used to cover the assembly. The APPS is used only with the 5.7L V-8 engine.

OPERATION

The Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) is a linear potentiometer. It provides the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with a DC voltage signal proportional to the angle, or position of the accelerator pedal. The APPS signal is translated (along with other sensors) to place the throttle plate (within the throttle body) to a pre-determined position. A mechanical cable is used between the accelerator pedal and the APPS assembly. Although a cable is used between the pedal and APPS, a mechanical cable is not used at the throttle body. Throttle plate position is electrically determined.

REMOVAL
The APPS is serviced (replaced) as one assembly including the sensor, plastic housing and cable. The APPS assembly is located under the vehicle battery tray (Fig. 2). Access to APPS is gained from over top of left / front tire.

(1) Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
(2) Disconnect APPS cable at accelerator pedal. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Removal / Installation.
(3) Remove wheel house liner at left / front wheel.
(4) Gain access to APPS electrical connector by opening swing-down door (Fig. 3). Disconnect electrical connector.
(5) Remove 3 mounting bolts (Fig. 3).
(6) Remove APPS assembly from battery tray.
(7) If cable is to be separated at APPS, unsnap cable clip from ball socket (Fig. 4). Release cable from plastic housing by pressing on small cable release tab

INSTALLATION

(1) Install Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) cable to accelerator pedal. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Removal / Installation.
(2) Connect electrical connector to APPS.
(3) If necessary, connect cable to APPS lever ball socket (snaps on).
(4) Snap APPS cable cover closed.
(5) Position APPS assembly to bottom of battery tray and install 3 bolts. Refer to Torque Specifications.
(6) Install wheelhouse liner. Refer to Body.
(7) The 5.7L V-8 engine is equipped with a fully electronic accelerator pedal position sensor. If equipped with a 5.7L, also perform the following 3 steps:
(a) Connect negative battery cable to battery.
(b) Turn ignition switch ON, but do not crank engine.
(c) Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn electrical parameters.
(d) The DRB IIIt Scan Tool may also be used to learn electrical parameters. Go to the Miscellaneous menu, and then select ETC Learn.
(8) If the previous step is not performed, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set.
(9) If necessary, use DRB IIIt Scan Tool to erase any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) from PCM.

Last edited by weedahoe; 02-11-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:03 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

d@mn!!! Weed you are all over it buddy!!!! Done and done. haha

Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I just happen to keep a lot of DR PDFs on my thumb drive......LOL

Quick Reply: Throttle cable rubbing/replacment