3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desperate and broken down in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Markmm0000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prob a head gasket, check your oil see if theres any signs of anti freeze in it.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check the coolant using PH strips. This will tell you if there is any hydrocarbon contamination from a cracked head or blown gasket. I haven't done this myself but was talking to a mechanic about this only a couple days ago. Maybe ask at a parts store. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Just air bubbles, was told to try block seal.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Default Steel Seal

See advertisement for steel seal on Dodge Forum site has anyone tried this yet. You don't even have to drain antifreeze like other products.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Alright doesn't look like I have a head gasket problem. Changed stat tonight and threw old one in water on stove and it didn't open. So hopefully this solves the problem of my lose of coolant from the small hose on pressurized tank. I always thought it was building up with to much pressure with the hissing and smell of coolant everytime I would get out of truck. Why wouldn't it throw some kind of check engine if engine or cooling system is getting too hot even though truck wouldn't over heat except when radiator blew in Florida.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Truck running hotter with new stat in. Still losing fluid from tank and radiator is hot as hell to touch but not sure if that is normal I am not over heating but something just doesn't seem right. Possible new stat could be bad so I have to take it out and check it.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by Kevno6
Truck running hotter with new stat in. Still losing fluid from tank and radiator is hot as hell to touch but not sure if that is normal I am not over heating but something just doesn't seem right. Possible new stat could be bad so I have to take it out and check it.
Did you purge the system after the thermostat install? Are you circulating coolant? Did the new thermostat have a purge hole? If not you may be still air bound. If you are not circulating, try massaging the hoses to see if you can get some coolant on the wax pellet side of the stat (driver side). If you have to reinstall the thermostat. First check it in a boiling pan like you did before and if it proves good. Wedge an asprin under the lip to hold the stat open and reinstall. The asprin trick will purge the system and get things flowing. Good luck...

Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 PM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use a quick dissolve aspirin!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Yes, fluid is moving and Stant thermostat with hole I ran vehicle with cap off until it was flowing nice. When I got home even with cool air and fan running I put my palm on radiator and it was hot as hell like I couldn't even put my hand on it and I don't ever remember a radiator getting so hot you couldn't touch it. This just sucks I might just have to put it in a shop. I thought it would be easier to figure out myself.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by Kevno6
Yes, fluid is moving and Stant thermostat with hole I ran vehicle with cap off until it was flowing nice. When I got home even with cool air and fan running I put my palm on radiator and it was hot as hell like I couldn't even put my hand on it and I don't ever remember a radiator getting so hot you couldn't touch it. This just sucks I might just have to put it in a shop. I thought it would be easier to figure out myself.
Well, 180 + degrees is more than you can hold your hand on, unless you are one bad SOB. What is your gage reading? Is your heater working?

Quick Reply: Desperate and broken down in Florida