3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desperate and broken down in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heater working, a little below half on gauge. was lower than that before I installed stat which is a 195 degree. Only time it ever overheated was in Feb and radiator blew so radiator is new, stat new and hoses new. Just keep putting fluid out relief hose which is not normal. I have to add fluid every week maybe 8 to 16oz. Clutch fan has a little tention and doesn't wobble which I was looking at tonight. Always smeel anti freeze when I start it up but oil is clean and have checked over and over again it is not coming from exhaust. Only thing I haven't looked at is water pump but vehicle doesn't over heat just seems like it builds up with to much pressure. And cap is new.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by Kevno6
UP in running in 3hrs, what a freakin night. Only tool I didn't bring with me was a pliers for hose clamps but low and behold I offered and got a pair for $20 bucks off a guy driving by. These thing are getting gold plated and framed. Gotta do what ya gotta do. I offered him 10 but I only had a 20. Thank for jumping on this post with the help when I really needed it. THANKS GUYS
cheap bastard should of gave them too ya. wtf!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Heater working, a little below half on gauge. was lower than that before I installed stat which is a 195 degree. Only time it ever overheated was in Feb and radiator blew so radiator is new, stat new and hoses new. Just keep putting fluid out relief hose which is not normal. I have to add fluid every week maybe 8 to 16oz. Clutch fan has a little tention and doesn't wobble which I was looking at tonight. Always smeel anti freeze when I start it up but oil is clean and have checked over and over again it is not coming from exhaust. Only thing I haven't looked at is water pump but vehicle doesn't over heat just seems like it builds up with to much pressure. And cap is new.
My guess is the temperature gage is reading about right. It would have changed position a little when the stat was changed to 195. I think the original was something like 208 degree. Sounds like a bad cap if all else is correct. Re check the cap and make sure that it is the proper pressure. In addition and sometimes overlooked is the clutch fan. If the fan clutch doesn't lock up and spin the fan at the proper rpm you can overheat the radiator at slow speeds. Check the manual for the test procedure. But basically, can you easily turn the fan by hand? You should feel enough resistance that would keep the fan spinning. Good luck...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

Clutch fan is working properly, I guess I will get another cap and see. I guess water pump is fine because I am not over heating.

Last edited by Kevno6; 04-16-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Kevno6
Veteran

UPDATE: Went with OEM cap and problem has gone away. Was not OEM cap on it when I bought truck in 04 and I replaced that cap with a Stant with pressure lever and always lost fluid. My father inlaw I guess is right always get OEM parts.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM
bgbluram2
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear, roomate had the exact same problem with antifreeze leaking out of the hose on the filler tank. His is an 02 4.7L too.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Went with OEM cap and problem has gone away. Was not OEM cap on it when I bought truck in 04 and I replaced that cap with a Stant with pressure lever and always lost fluid. My father inlaw I guess is right always get OEM parts.
I appreciate you coming back and updating this. My truck, like yours, had an aftermarket cap when I bought it. After my radiator blew up I changed the cap and had the problem with the overflow leak. I think I PMd you about your issue when this popped up. After reading your update last week, I went to the Dodge house and found out why I always took the cheaper way out lmao. Its been a week that the $22 cap from the dealer has been on there and not a drip #1 out of the overflow hose. Now just to find a replacement degas bottle. It still leaks around the nipple where the cap sits but not nearly as bad as before I put the OEM cap on there. That started leaking after I changed my plugs and I guess leaned on it with my fat *** for too long.

Quick Reply: Desperate and broken down in Florida