3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i want to run my lows and hi's

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM
The Bull
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok , question. When you do this the low beams stay on when you flip on the highs?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, this has really been bugging me so I have spent way too much time studying the drawings. But I think I have a new simple solution to the problem. Can't test my theory until next month. But any of you want to give it a try, let me know how it goes. The headlights HI/LO get power from the IPM, which headlight HI or LO is determined by the FCM. The FCM gets it's digital signal via J1850 multi-bus from the MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH mounted on the steering colum which we the driver select by pulling on the lever. First detent (Headlight Flash) turns on both the HI and LO headlights and sends a signal that is terminated with a resistor value of 1257 - 1397 ohms ±10%. The second detent (High beam only) sends a signal terminated with a resistor value of 518 - 575 ohms ±10%. My solution is replace the "High beam on" resistor (518 - 575 ohms) with the value of 1257 - 1397 ohms. This will signal the FCM to turn on both HI and LO Headlights using the trucks installed electrical system. As always I'm open for comments. good luck...

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 PM
The Bull
Professional

That sounds like it might work Red Truck, keep us updated

Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by The Bull
That sounds like it might work Red Truck, keep us updated
Like I said Bull, I won't be home until next month. I just hate pulling the damn steering wheel off again.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
dodgewhiteout

well tell me where all these resistors r and more on how to do this and if its not to complicated ill give it a whirl
[QUOTE=RedTruck-VA;2012508]Ok, this has really been bugging me so I have spent way too much time studying the drawings. But I think I have a new simple solution to the problem. Can't test my theory until next month. But any of you want to give it a try, let me know how it goes. The headlights HI/LO get power from the IPM, which headlight HI or LO is determined by the FCM. The FCM gets it's digital signal via J1850 multi-bus from the [FONT=Arial]MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH mounted on the steering colum which we the driver select by pulling on the lever. First detent (Headlight Flash) turns on both the HI and LO headlights and sends a signal that is terminated with a resistor value of [FONT=Arial]1257 - 1397 ohms [FONT=Arial]±10%. The second detent (High beam only) sends a signal terminated with a resistor value of [FONT=Arial]518 - 575 ohms [FONT=Arial]±10%. My solution is replace the "High beam on" resistor (518 - 575 ohms) with the value of [FONT=Ar

Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

This would probably destroy stock headlight setups to run the dual beam bulbs on low and hi correct?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Bent
Veteran

I'd think so, the current for both the high and for the low has to return through the same ground conductor in the headlight pigtail. I'd think one or the other is ok, but combined might run you into thermal issues.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

get hids the use less power, duh... i dont know but i think so. they arent running stock heads if i read right, they have dual beam aftermarkets

Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do this only with aftermarket light assemblies that have separate high and low beam bulbs. We're going from 65w stock high beams to 110w with the combined H1's, or from around 6 amps to around 10 amps of current (rounded up for worst-case voltage drop). The factory wire is more than enough for this.

It sounds like RedTruck's idea would work beautifully but I'm not all that great at swapping resistors!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

[quote=dodgewhiteout;2013059]well tell me where all these resistors r and more on how to do this and if its not to complicated ill give it a whirl
Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Ok, this has really been bugging me so I have spent way too much time studying the drawings. But I think I have a new simple solution to the problem. Can't test my theory until next month. But any of you want to give it a try, let me know how it goes. The headlights HI/LO get power from the IPM, which headlight HI or LO is determined by the FCM. The FCM gets it's digital signal via J1850 multi-bus from the [font=Arial]MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH mounted on the steering colum which we the driver select by pulling on the lever. First detent (Headlight Flash) turns on both the HI and LO headlights and sends a signal that is terminated with a resistor value of [font=Arial]1257 - 1397 ohms [font=Arial]±10%. The second detent (High beam only) sends a signal terminated with a resistor value of [font=Arial]518 - 575 ohms [font=Arial]±10%. My solution is replace the "High beam on" resistor (518 - 575 ohms) with the value of [FONT=Ar
The resistors are located in the MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH mounted on the steering colum. The steering wheel will need to come off and the switch removed to locate and replace the resistor. As for overloading any of the wiring, I think this is by far the safest way to go as it uses the truck's designed system to operate the lights. Like I said I'll get to this next month when I get home.

Quick Reply: i want to run my lows and hi's