3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Going with wheel spacers.... wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Bigbody
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can the 1/4" spacers bend your lugs? I got a set of 4 from sfx performance for $25

Old 02-20-2010, 02:09 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

You misunderstood, the 1/4 will work, the 5/16 will not.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Bigbody
Professional

yes i have the 1/4" on my truck already just curious on the lug bending part if there was something i needed to look out for

Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

ok go to the second page of this thread and look at the pictures, the picture of the first spacers will bend ur lugs because it puts the pressure of ur rim and tire on the end of the bolt, so if u where to hit a pot hole or what real hard it would bend it, with the second ones in the second pic, where they bolts on to your original lugs and have new lugs for your rim, then u dont have to worry, its just the first ones make your rim move out on the bolt where it aint as strong and will bend, hope that answered your question big body

Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hoss67
ok go to the second page of this thread and look at the pictures, the picture of the first spacers will bend ur lugs because it puts the pressure of ur rim and tire on the end of the bolt, so if u where to hit a pot hole or what real hard it would bend it, with the second ones in the second pic, where they bolts on to your original lugs and have new lugs for your rim, then u dont have to worry, its just the first ones make your rim move out on the bolt where it aint as strong and will bend, hope that answered your question big body

In theory yes, but those lugs are plenty strong enough. Lots of guys have run and are running 1/4" spacers with no issue's at all. Have you had a personal experience where you lugs bent or are you just passing information from hear say?

and HOSS, the 2nd one's pictured are NOT necissarily Hub centric. They make both and Hub centric one's are more expensive and much harder to find. Hub centric is where the inside of the spacer opening fits over your hub ledge perfectly. This aligns the spacer to be dead centoer on the hub PLUS on the outer edge of the spacer, there should be a little edged lip that the wheel can set over and be perfectly centered. The thicker ones pictured ARE NOT hubcentric FYI...

Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
the 5/16 will not work, your factory studs will stick through and hit the back side of your wheel. you need at least 1-1/4" to cover the factory studs
my 1.5" spacers did not cover my lugs, i would have had to get 2" to cover my lugs completly. luckly my rims have holes where the lugs stick out so i didnt have to cut the stock lugs down due to them sticking out past the mounting surface of the spacer.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got some long studs man!!I am running 1-1/4" spacer and my factory studs are flush with the face of the spacer when bolted on

Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
In theory yes, but those lugs are plenty strong enough. Lots of guys have run and are running 1/4" spacers with no issue's at all. Have you had a personal experience where you lugs bent or are you just passing information from hear say?

and HOSS, the 2nd one's pictured are NOT necissarily Hub centric. They make both and Hub centric one's are more expensive and much harder to find. Hub centric is where the inside of the spacer opening fits over your hub ledge perfectly. This aligns the spacer to be dead centoer on the hub PLUS on the outer edge of the spacer, there should be a little edged lip that the wheel can set over and be perfectly centered. The thicker ones pictured ARE NOT hubcentric FYI...
I never stated they where hub centric, and yes my dads truck had the first picture spacers on his old dodge and bent them while he was hunting, he did hit a massive hole though he said, but if ur just driving around they would be fine, but i rather be safe than sorry....

Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hoss67
I never stated they where hub centric, and yes my dads truck had the first picture spacers on his old dodge and bent them while he was hunting, he did hit a massive hole though he said, but if ur just driving around they would be fine, but i rather be safe than sorry....

Nah, didn't say you specifically said they were hub centric. If you go back through you will see how RamRango assumed they were hubcentic and then OE replied "fo sho", so i didn't want you to get confused about the truth of the situation and i don't think OE was speaking about that in particular anyways?

As for the driving around town is only good. This is very subjective from one person to the next and the same when your talking about spacers in general. Many guys will tell you don't go offroad with wheel spacers period.
I would much rather have 1/4" spacers than 1.5" spacers. The wider the spacer the more pressure you put on the hub bearings kinda like you were saying about the lugs, however; the wider spacers will put more stress on the hubs than the thinner spacers would on the lugs....if you follow?
Just some food for thought.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
you got some long studs man!!I am running 1-1/4" spacer and my factory studs are flush with the face of the spacer when bolted on
thats odd. we have pretty much the same exact truck. maybe you had stock 20s from factory? dunno if that would make a difference. my lugs all had factory paint marks on em so i know theyre not aftermarket.

its hard to see but they stick out pretty good.
Name:  img109.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  55.6 KB

Quick Reply: Going with wheel spacers.... wheel question