3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan removal help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010 | 11:08 AM
mpk4580
Rookie
Default Pulley Hole Size

I measured the holes with my calipers at work and they are a little under a 5/16 in diameter. A 5/16-18 allen cap screw fits well because screws are always undersize a little.

Old 04-16-2010 | 05:47 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
I used the same controller that weed is talking about, adjustable from 140 to 190. I did not use the AC interface wire(green) nor did I use the second fan wire(blue) hooked the orange to my low speed wire, 2 ground wires to the ground at the battery a hot(red to the positive battery terminal. the tricky wire was the yellow which is connected to a hot wire controlled by the key, so the fan shuts off when the key does. this is an option, you can hook it to a hot wire that is always on and the fan will shut off when cool. I did not want this so i found a extra port in fusebox that was hot only with the key on. I plugged yellow wire here and it worked well. then just adjust thermostat to the temp I wanted and good to go!!

Hammer I used a pc of wood with a bolt in it to hold the WP pulley wedged it against the ground and it came right loose. Thanks again for your help!
do you have any pics or explanation of which you plugged the yellow wire into? my fan keeps running after my trucks off.. its killed my battery 2 times now..

Old 04-16-2010 | 06:28 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by bigpappaholt
do you have any pics or explanation of which you plugged the yellow wire into? my fan keeps running after my trucks off.. its killed my battery 2 times now..
Sounds like your controller is not working right. When the engine cools to the set point it should cut off automatically. I have a 180 thermostat and have my controller set for 195. I have it now wired to ingnition on, but I'm thinking of connecting it to the battery to run after shut off.

Old 04-16-2010 | 08:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Both my red and yellow are wired together at the PDC connection with a ring terminal. This configuration allows the fan to continue to run without the key on and continue to cool the truck. If the controller isnt working correctly or the relay, then the fan will stay on continuously and kill the battery

Old 04-16-2010 | 11:38 PM
SMKNRAM
|
Champion

I used a tester in the fuse block and found one that was hot only with the key. I will get the position number for you tomorrow you could also use power wire to radio or ac or anything that goes off with the key!

Old 04-18-2010 | 04:58 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

I used a tester in the fuse block and found one that was hot only with the key. I will get the position number for you tomorrow you could also use power wire to radio or ac or anything that goes off with the key!
any update on that position number?

Old 04-18-2010 | 05:54 PM
SMKNRAM
|
Champion

update is I forgot all about it!! I just got home I will go look right now!! LOL

Old 04-18-2010 | 06:17 PM
SMKNRAM
|
Champion

ok it is position number 68 in mine, and here is the terminal I used in that block, I used a flat blade connector and taped it up to be safe.

Name:  0418001805.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  80.3 KB

Old 04-18-2010 | 06:22 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

ok it is position number 68 in mine, and here is the terminal I used in that block, I used a flat blade connector and taped it up to be safe.

sweet, i love pics! thanks im going to change mine over now...i think my issues ive been having is due to bad alternator.. going to get it checked after i get a jump... ill like knowing the fan wont keep kickin on after i leave the car

Old 04-18-2010 | 06:32 PM
SMKNRAM
|
Champion

yeah me too!!

Quick Reply: fan removal help