3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of power, lights dimming, almost stall. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
uponone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power, lights dimming, almost stall. Need help!

Hey guys-
This has happened twice now. About a month ago and today, both times I was driving at about 55mph.
I own a 2003 1500 4x4 QC Hemi.
I'll be driving along and notice the truck is not responding at all to me giving it gas, total loss of power (the truck doesn't stall, but goes to about idle rmp when coasting). I'll through my flashers on and coast to the shoulder. When I come to a stop, the truck is still running at a rough idle. Every few seconds the RPMs jump to 2 grand....enough to make the truck jump forward a bit (Its an automatic, I'm just holding the brake and the RPMs jump up and pull the truck a bit). At the same time, when the idle drops, it drops so low the truck almost stalls, the lights dim, and the volt meter goes negative. At that point, I put her in park, rev the engine a bit and everything returns to normal. Volt meter good, a bit positive. Idle steady. I take off and it runs perfect.

It only happened twice, about a month apart. Both times were pretty much identical. The truck never stalled on either occasion, just came to a coasting stop like I was driving a manual car in neutral (and no response from the throttle). No codes, no engine lights.
Any suggestions??? I'm in a bad spot because I know its a tuff thing to diagnose when the truck is running good...a mechanic will have a hard time finding it.

Bad ground?
Alternator?
Electrical problem?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY HELP!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 AM
uponone
Rookie

It happened again this morning on the way into work, although not as bad as the last two times. I wish I could remember how much gas I had in my tank first time...I'm almost on E this time. I wonder if it could be a gas problem (water in my gas/dirty gas).

Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wish I could help but I cant recall anyone having any issue like this. Maybe someone else can help out. Free bump.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
uponone
Rookie

Bump...anyone? I have to plow tommorrow...I would love to try a few ideas...the last thing I need is to have to get towed druing the snow storm.
THANKS!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
SlvrRAM05
Rookie

Run an analog Volt and AMP meter straight from your alt and from your batt.

Check Fuse block for water damage

Couple quick checks to rule out...

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry Bout the symptoms . Dude it sounds like a sensor is picking up a false read from either oil or water. You didn't tell us about any low oil pressure or high water temps. so if tha/freeze is good then check your oil. if both are good then it could be the oil pump failing. how many miles on this truck and why are you plowing with a 1500??!
If everthing still checks then it will lie ( the problem) in either sensor for low oil pressure or the high water temp that sends a short to the ecm (electronic control module). Telling the motor too shut don but not completly stop. print this and go too your mechanic Now you have direction my son...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

i would say check the alternator.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
uponone
Rookie

Thanks for the direction. The last two times it happened, my eyes were stuck to all my guages...no low oil pressure or high water temp. I'll check my oil and water levels just to be sure. I'm also going to check my altenator ground and fuse box for water tonight. Also a general check for any loose connections/worn wires ect.
The truck has about 120,000. Other than changing my front left CV joint two years ago(before the plow, so you can't blame it:-) )...I haven't had a problem in 7 good years. I plow a few driveways with a lightweight plow made for the halfton series...no big accounts and no other drivers...just me, taking it easy and making a few bucks.

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
uponone
Rookie

Wouldn't I get a code or engine light if it was sensing low oil pressure or high water temp?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
uponone
Rookie

Bought it to my mechanic for a quick check before the snow starts. Battery checks good and alternator checks good.

Quick Reply: Loss of power, lights dimming, almost stall. Need help!