3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-fan mod parts request...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by graphicjunkie
do you still require the rectifier diode?

rectum what??????

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
graphicjunkie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that when the fan is not active, due to the fact that the fan is still turned by air force, it basically turns it into a generator. This passes energy back to the relay and will burn it out.

The rectifier diode bleeds off that energy to the ground to keep your relay safe.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You are right about the fan being of and being turned by incoming air and generating voltage but if the relay is not energized then the contacts are not closed. If the contacts are not closed and are open, the voltage can go no where.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

WOW!!! that is good ****, never heard of that!

I would assume that the kit has a way to protect itself, maybe it is built in?

So far I have had no issues, but have only put about 100 miles on it

Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

Weed you is so smart!!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

actually, I've been reading into the diode requirement more, and it is a valid issue. it's called negative spike suppressioin. Some relays come with, and some don't. It can cause the relay to either fry, or as one article I read put it, "Weld it's self shut and stay in the on position".

It's not saying that it WILL happen, but it can happen.

But this is pissin me off. I contacted Advance Auto, and they have the imperial one...again, 30A. They don't carry anything with a 40A relay on it. I'm nervous about buying anything like this on line, because the ones I've found on line don't give specifications on what the amperage is on the relay. I know I can go buy some $100+ controller that will handle anything I throw at it, but I don't see the need to spend the extra money for something so fancy, to do such a simple job. I can find something else to direct that other $50+ towards.

Weed, I noticed that your controller has a Beuler relay on it, but you said it's an imperial unit. That's interesting. I can't seem to find that same model anywhere.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion

i got mine at O'riellys

Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by graphicjunkie
Weed, I noticed that your controller has a Beuler relay on it, but you said it's an imperial unit. That's interesting. I can't seem to find that same model anywhere.
Mine came from Advance Auto and is made by Hayden (not Imperial). But keep in mine Hayden and Imperial are related. It is Hayden 3647.

You can find it here

http://www.haydenauto.com/Online%20C...g/Content.aspx

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

I just found this and thought it would be useful...

The Taurus fan draws only 17 amps on the low speed wire(235 WATTS).
It draws nearly 40 amps on the high speed wire(550 WATTS).

The absolute maximum current the Spal PWM can deal with is 30 amps(425 WATTS). Therefore the Spal PWM must only be used on the LOW speed wire.

To put this in perspective, I spent ~$100 on an aftermarket 14" fan from Summit that only draws 10 amps(145 WATTS).

Something else that should be noted is that
1. fan CFM ratings(airflow) depend on the radiator they are mounted to(1 row vs 4 row).
2. Free airflow(low speed, high torque) current draw will be higher ... than the restrictive airflow(high speed, low tq) current draw.
3. Ultimately the CFM and current ratings given in Catalogs are useless for anything more than generalizations.
4. The Taurus fan beats the crap out of anything but the most expensive($450+) fans available.
5. The Taurus fan beats the crap out of most other fans ON THE LOW SPEED WIRE!!!! without resorting to the monstrous 40 amp current draw of the high speed wire.

This is great information, as it shows that the controller I already had and TOOK BACK would have handled it....but it's frustrating at the same time! LOL! Because it shows that the controller I already had and TOOK BACK could have handled it......

Crap

Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

ok, I'm all set now. I went down to advanced auto, and was able to find the same controller as weeds. I can't wait to get this done tonight! after that last post I made, I decided to just buy the one with the 30A relay and trust the numbers. BUT! I was pleasantly suprised. The sales associate didn't know what the hell he was talking about... the kit DID have a 40/60A relay.

Side note, i was stoked!! I couldn't wait and took off the fan. Drove the truck to get the controller and some other odds and ends (constantly watching temp gauge) and I averaged 14.2 mpg!!!! I normally, CONSISTANTLY get about 9 mpg around town. I didn't really feal any additional power, but the city mpg gave me wood! I can't wait to see what happens on the highway. Best I've ever seen is 14.5 highway. 18?!

Quick Reply: E-fan mod parts request...