3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-fan mod parts request...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graphicjunkie
ok, I'm all set now. I went down to advanced auto, and was able to find the same controller as weeds. I can't wait to get this done tonight! after that last post I made, I decided to just buy the one with the 30A relay and trust the numbers. BUT! I was pleasantly suprised. The sales associate didn't know what the hell he was talking about... the kit DID have a 40/60A relay.

Side note, i was stoked!! I couldn't wait and took off the fan. Drove the truck to get the controller and some other odds and ends (constantly watching temp gauge) and I averaged 14.2 mpg!!!! I normally, CONSISTANTLY get about 9 mpg around town. I didn't really feal any additional power, but the city mpg gave me wood! I can't wait to see what happens on the highway. Best I've ever seen is 14.5 highway. 18?!

haha the simple things in life that keep us happy.
I got the same controller too. im hoping tomorrow i can find a fan at the few junk yards in my area so i can do it this weekend.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you guys found it. Its worked for me just fine so far.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

whats a good temp to set the controller to with stock stat?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine is set to I guess around 185-190

default is 165 i think

Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

just got back from junk yard. picked up a 3.8l taurus fan and a fan from a 90's mecuery couger v8 (looks like the mark VIII) which one would be better to use?

here is what the couger fan looks like.. may be different but looks identical
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-IN...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM
flwalks
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
You are right about the fan being of and being turned by incoming air and generating voltage but if the relay is not energized then the contacts are not closed. If the contacts are not closed and are open, the voltage can go no where.
True statement. This should not hurt the relay and is easier on the relay when the fan starts. Lower stating amps due to already spinning.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

Adding this just as a helpful shopping list for any future seekers. I know that there are many threads on this, but different info comes up in different searches so hopefully this will help someone.

This is what I ended up buying, and I just got it all wired up and cleaned up tonight. Works like a charm.

Fan: 1993 Ford Taurus WITH 3.8L V6. Clipped wires about 5" past connector. - U Pull it $25
Controller: Imperial Thermostatic Fan Control #226204. This is the model with the push through probe. If you prefer the screw in probe for the water jacket, then get #226208. I bought it at Advance Auto Parts. - $38
**The controller box says that it's rated at 30A, but it has a Beuler relay that is rated 40/60A...so it WILL work**

Assorted electrical connectors - $5

Total cost: $68.
I took my time and actually changed how I was mounting the fan, so it took me a little longer, but I'd say it took me about 8 hours total to do the job.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my questions and helped out. That's what makes places like this rock!

Quick Reply: E-fan mod parts request...