3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-fan mod parts request...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
graphicjunkie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-fan mod parts request...

Ok, so I've been searching hi and low locally for the conversion parts for my mod. I got the taurus fan from the 3.8L engine. I've got the fan thermostat controller...that was easy.

But where are you guys buying your your diodes and bigger relay?

Trying to track down the rectifier diode #1N5408 is insane. I live just outside Denver Colorado. I called every Radio Shack within 60 miles and got the same answer...the largest they carry is the 5404...after researching specs, the 5404 can't handle near the power, so it won't work. But Radio shack sells those things in packs of 3 for $1.99.... So I look on line, and I find the 5408 anywhere from 10 cents to 22 cents a piece. But then you have to pay almost 10 bucks for shipping! That's BS! The thing is tiny and weights less than a quarter! It's rape!

Is there anyone that has a source that they would be willing to share? or if it's local, would you be willing to go buy it and ship for a realistic price?

The other thing is that it's recommended to get the bosch power relay. It's supposed to be a direct replacement for the 35A relay that's in the controller. But I'm running into the SAME thing. I have been to two different NAPA's, an Autozone, and a Carquest. NONE of them can track down the right bosch relay. They can cross reference it's type, but I kept getting the same response. A relay that has screw type connectors! How the hell does that cross reference to a five blade style relay!

SO! If you could post where you bought your diode and relay, I would be extremely grateful!

thx!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Im running a Hayden 2 fan adjustable temp controller from Advance Auto fro $40 and no issues. It came with a relay and Im only using the low side of the fan because it does more than enough.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Im running a Hayden 2 fan adjustable temp controller from Advance Auto fro $40 and no issues. It came with a relay and Im only using the low side of the fan because it does more than enough.
do you happen to have any pics of the controller?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

oh, thats it? haha how do you adjust the temp it turns on aT?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is the DIY on this subject! I am running the same controller, and it has an adjustmen under those wires. Any pars=ts store should have a generic e-fan controller.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...c-fan-diy.html

Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

Ok, well, mine only came with a 30 or a 35A relay. I doubt that will hold up.
And I thought we needed to have it so that the high side functioned as well? You are saying that the low side pulls as much/more cfm as the stock fan?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by graphicjunkie
Ok, well, mine only came with a 30 or a 35A relay. I doubt that will hold up. And I thought we needed to have it so that the high side functioned as well? You are saying that the low side pulls as much/more cfm as the stock fan?
That one I had came with a 40/50A relay as you can see. I have zero cooling issues with it wired to the low side.

Originally Posted by bigpappaholt
oh, thats it? haha how do you adjust the temp it turns on aT?
There is a small potentiometers **** by the relay that you turn to adjust it.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by graphicjunkie
Ok, well, mine only came with a 30 or a 35A relay. I doubt that will hold up.
And I thought we needed to have it so that the high side functioned as well? You are saying that the low side pulls as much/more cfm as the stock fan?
All I know is the low side is more than enough to keep my truck cool, cycles on and off just like it should. I would think it would never shut off if it was not pulling enough cfm

Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

do you still require the rectifier diode?

Quick Reply: E-fan mod parts request...