3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The cam is on its way!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Man i was SO going to buy that OT-2 to go with my LC-1 but oh well. For his asking price I would have bought it new anyway.

Head bolts from Hensons arent but 35 bux but the gaskets are 65. Thats 100 right there. Then you still gotta buy that spring compressor. Will you need new exhaust gaskets? Because I dont think youre going to get those heads out of there with LTs still attached.......LOL

Or you can leave the heads on, get that compressor from Draggin-Accord on DT for 75 and be done with it.
It has been said that you can pull the heads out with the headers still on, but that they are kind of heavy. I think I could manage it, but like you listed, it will probably end up costing me more if I do pull the heads. You used the tool that draggin makes on yours, right? How did it perform?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The tool itself worked flawless. Just make sure you roll up paper towels and put them in the oil drain holes in the heads incase you drop a keeper. If it were me and I were doing it again (which I might soon with some 6.1 heads) then i would have some extra keepers just in case. I didnt loose any of mine. I actually did drop one but I found it.

Ive got a set of extra retainers if you want a few but I dont think you will need them. If you drop one of those you can find it pretty easily.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Getting some extra keepers is a good idea. It would suck to lose one and not have a spare to finish the job with. Might have to call the dealer for them and see if they have any on hand.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah because if you drop one and it goes down the head to the pan then its fishing time or drop the pan. I didnt drop one per se. Mine went flying as I had them both on the valve tip and was letting the spring and retainer back up and evidently it the keepers were not seated right on the stem and got binded with the retainer and POP!!! One went flying. Thankfully I seen where it went.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Franks claims something like 40 - 45rwhp and 45 torque with this cam. I am not expecting quite that much running it just on the SC tune but if I put a psc1 on it, then I would hope to get those type numbers.

Most cam numbers are with LT headers as far as i am aware of. Just keep an eyeball out for anything along those lines.

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
and teach i am getting the lt's no ceramic coating though. i dont think i will need it here in the bible belt. not a whole lot of salt or rust problems down here. i just want the exterior and interior done before i concentrate on performance. its almost there
ceramic coating wasn't originally made for salt or rust prevention. Ceramic was formulated to keep the under hood temps noticeably cooler as well as the skin temps down. This creates more HP when the skin temps are a few hundred degrees cooler because the gases can escape from the cylinder heads faster as well as cooler.

Little FYI...Local dyno shop had a vette that was putting down 600rwhp with a set of Stainless steel long tube headers. they were all polished up nice and had that nice color change to them. He said his underhood temps went up ~40 degrees compared to stock after they were installed.
He swapped them out with the exact same headers except the new one's were ceramic coated by Jethot both inside and out. His under hood temps dropped 60 degrees compared to the uncoated one's. that means the new coated headers were 30degrees cooler than OEM headers. PLUS his dyno numbers jumped up a solid 8rwhp, just from ceramic coating.
end of story

Cearmic coating is costly, but the benefits far outweigh the cost IMO.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

very nice Teach. I'm probably gonna be bitin the bullet on the krc 210 shortly. marty is real confident he can tune it no problems

Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry dog i should have been more clear.
i know the ceramic were put on to keep the engine bay cooler but i also know the stainless wouldnt hold up well in a east or west coast area. i think i can get the a tape kit that will hold the heat in for 80.00. i might make a phone call and see if i can get a roll free

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Tape is way worse because you can get moisture trapped behind the wrapping and it will rot out even quicker than un protected headers would. What is the price difference? If its only a bill or a bit more its totally worth it.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, stay away from the wrap unless your a strip king. it's nothing like coating and it's a total PIA to wrap/install not to mention it's very itchy. i've wrapped a few headers in my day. Not fun at all.
Stainless T409 will create surface rust, but T304 should not. Your factory exhaust is made out of T409.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Not to mentionmost headers now come with a warning saying that adding tape voids the waranty if there is any to begin with.

Teach - Congrats on finally ordering the cam. As soon as my new card gets here I'll order mine (not a Credit card but one linked to my mod account, got tired of waiting for the transfers from one to one account to another).