3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any brake system experts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any brake system experts?

basically, not all 4 of my brakes are working. I've dealt with this problem since I've had the truck almost. but now is enough. when I brake it feels like I'm falling forward. when I compare it to my pops 07 it brakes nice and even. I've also got a lot of play in the brake. when I push it, it kinda sounds like your pushing air out of something. so I figure I have a leak in the abs system or maybe master cylinder? but how would I check this? and hopefully fix it? my front pads are always worn a ton more than the rears. and my slotted rotors all around didn't help much. any help at all is appreciated

Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Sounds like you do have a leak somewhere. I would start at the master cylinder and trace all the hoses. There should be no brake fluid anywhere on any of the hoses. Make sure you check the calipers also, you could have blown out a seal inside a piston. It is completely not safe to continue to drive if you do have a leak. You're front pads should always be worn more than the back, since you do I would say approximately 70% of your braking with the front brakes. Make sure you check that all the bleeder screws are tight also. Give that a shot. You should have NO brake fluid on any hose, line, etc. period. It's a closed system.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

yeah, no fluid leaks at all. since I've had the truck, no leaks period. fluid anyway. I've had brakes done at brake shops and I've done em myself. still no change and I havent asked, always forgot about it. only 1 time did I have the tight brake feeling. I think first time I had brakes done in 05 or so. when I pressed on pedal there wasnt any play. but since then its just gotten to the point where its play first then brake

Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Maybe you should try bleeding the brakes. See if there's still air in the line. Maybe see if you have a vacuum leak on the brake booster. Possibly a bad brake booster or a master cylinder taking a crap on ya? I would start with bleeding of the brakes if the fluid level in the master cylinder hasn't moved/gone down.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

so if bleeding didn't work, how else can I test the brake system to try and pin point the problem?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Also check to see if there's a leak in the vacuum system for the booster. Are you losing any fluid in the reservoir?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

sounds like you may have a bad caliper somewhere on the truck. One of 'em isn't functioning right if everything checks out. Either that or the proportioning valve.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

no fluid leakage at all. just the squishy pedal

Last edited by mbaseball3; 03-03-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Start by jacking up each side of the truck and see if while you spin the tire and someone hits the brakes if the tire keeps spinning. Or spins longer than it really should. Did you bleed the brakes? If you did, how did you do it and what part of the truck did you start with? front/left, right/rear?

Quick Reply: any brake system experts?