3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
ZWilson07
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New looking for some advice

hey whats up guys I just had a few questions. first off i know searching is a big deal on most forums and I usually do alot. i mean i spend alot and alot of time searching but i figured this type of questions probably wouldnt really be covered because its such a broad topic. 2nd i realize this is a dodge forum and I am no way looking to come here and put down dodge or say how any other truck brand is so much better im just looking for solid advice. im a sophmore and college and im selling my car as we speak to get a 4x4 truck. im either looking to get a ford 150 or dodge 1500. my 2 must are it has to be 4x4, under 100,000 miles and not a long bed, for some reason I never liked the look of them. but any other thing from reg cab to quad or extended to crew or however you want to say them all. for this section im looking at 99 to 01 1500 with the aabove things. I understand that you all are going to be partial to dodge or ford, or over gm etc but please dont make this into a fight of whose better. me and my parents have had 2 chevy's, 3 fords, and 2 dodges all of which have had their share of problems as well as share of good things about each so im not one to say ill never buy a chevy or ford or dodge. it just has to look good and work good for my needs w.e they may be. each company would not be what they are today if it wasn't for the competition between them all. . i have always been into for's myself just because the 2 cars ive owned since first driving but my dad has his 06 cummins quad cab 3500 and I do like some things about it but bear with me as I learn. but im looking for the pros and cons of 2 02thru 04 4x4 1500's and things i should look for and take into consideration. what are the good and bad things that would make this truck a better choice then lets say the f150. one thing i do hate about the f150 is the vacuum actuated 4 wheel drive systems which can cause problems. i dont know if dodge uses the same but I was just using this as an example stating that im not here to say fords better, fu** dodge. so please save the fighting and flaming and just help me learn what I need to make the best decision for myself, whether that be dodge or ford. thanks Zach.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

wow long post, semi welcome to DF, cant help you with the 99-01 wrong page for that, but my 03 1500 5.7 has 130k with no major problems other then the usual brakes and whatnot so that right there makes me like my dodge, i use my 4x4 alot in the winter and never had a problem with it, buying one with that many miles, check for leaks, run it for CEL's and see if they have any records of maintenance done on it, other than that cant really help except just look over the normal things

Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

k thanks, yea sorry for the year post, i posted the same thing in the other section and copy and pasted and changed the year to 02 thru 04 but i guess i messed up. but for this section im meaning 02 thru 04. ill have about 7 or 8 in cash and I was looking to get a 3 or 4 grand small loan to get into an 02 or 03. ive already found quite a few around here with like 80,000 miles 4x4 for like 12 grand at a lot so i could def get them down to 11 which would be right up my alley. is their any particular reasons why used dodges seem cheaper or be able to get more truck for the money. searching for fords around me I couldnt vfind anything but like above with my dodge search seemed alot better. im just trying to learn everything I can, and I usually spend alot of time on these forums even a few hours some days. I just enjoy the crap out of it. i like the 02 and up bodystyle but I could get a 99 or 00 for cash and no payment at all but this bodystyle seems to be drawing my eye.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM
irelandshemi
All Star

not 100% sure on why they are so cheap but around me (in michigan) i occasionally see 03's with around 80k for just under 10,000$, and as far as money goes look at it this way if you like the newer style, why not pay the extra if you can get to the one you want instead of kicking yourself in the A$s wishing you had, i love my 03 only downside on the 03 was tuning options, i would look around and do some test drives, as bad as it sounds if you find you like ford better go for it (im going to get killed for that one) but i love my dodge and havent had any problems i know some of the 03s have had spring or rocker problems cant remember and occasionally a head gasket on the 4.7's but thats about it

Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 AM
itsahemi4x4
Professional

I've had all three in the past 3 years. Cheby and F?!d were company trucks, and the Dodge is all mine. I've got an '04 hemi 4x4, and it has enough ***** to pull the chevy and the ford behind it, which is convenient, cuz that's usually where they are, behind me! All brands have their issues, Fords of that vintage have no guts, Dodge's never met a gas station they didn't like, and in my opinion, GM (Government Motors) styling leaves a lot to be desired. If I were to get a GM, I'd be looking for a GMC, and not a Cheby. Dodge's styling is IMO the best of the 3. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Get an 02 with the 5.9, we are starting to run short of them, they keep dropping like flies, great truck and engine, we keep losing them to diesels and megacabs... easy to modify and run forever, had the smaller version of the 5.9, the 5.2 for 215000 miles and the kid who has it now still has it running and he makes pretty long trips to nevada from oregon frequently, Im betting its in the range of 225000 by now and still running strong.

Join the last of the 5.9s haha!

Its also easy to come across these 02's fully loaded for a good price.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 AM
ZWilson07
Professional

ireland I sure wish here in KY wasnt so far away or id def drive up there to pick one up for that price. is the 03 any better than the 02 like did they improve on a few little things that they found out was a problem with the first year 02 or is the 02 better to get for any particular reason. also what motor should I try and get, is there any different in mpg's which each, and which tranny combo would be the best for those engines just because me being in college and all, i cant be affording to be dropping a new tranny anytime soon.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

yeah michigan has some cheap trucks from time to time, well the 03 is the first year for the hemi so if you want one of those you cant get the 02, but the 5.9 is in the 02 dont know too much about it, my hemi 4x4 qc gets around 17-18highway and 11-13 city, yeah the trannies are an occasional problem but as bad as it sounds, after 131k im still on all the original tranny fluid and filters and havent had a slip or problem so im not the best at telling about the problems, for the most part your not goign to be getting too much difference in mpg for the most part it will all be in that range unless you start modding it

Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
Get an 02 with the 5.9, we are starting to run short of them, they keep dropping like flies, great truck and engine, we keep losing them to diesels and megacabs... easy to modify and run forever, had the smaller version of the 5.9, the 5.2 for 215000 miles and the kid who has it now still has it running and he makes pretty long trips to nevada from oregon frequently, Im betting its in the range of 225000 by now and still running strong.

Join the last of the 5.9s haha!

Its also easy to come across these 02's fully loaded for a good price.
You miss me don't you..

Old 03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
ZWilson07
Professional

well if i get an 02 whats the best engine tranny and gearrs cmbo i should try for as well as what would be the best ngine tranny option for 03. having the most power inst a concern. i dnt tow or things like that. i jus want the best longtivity and best chance to last the longest options. i know all this usually depends on maint. and keeping up wth them but just as a reference what motor n tranny shud i try for

Quick Reply: New looking for some advice