3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
ramzm
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Fog lights

I want to get fog lights for my 05 Ram Quad Cab. Can anyone tell me if the trucks are prewired for them? I checked it out and there is a plug that is close to the bumper that is not connected to anything; could this be for the fog lights? When I called the dealer they said that it is not prewired. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
dodgegirl05
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that should be for the fog lights. mine was like that when i got fogs for mine. i got mine off ebay for cheap. it came with the rest of the wires, the lights, bulbs, the switch and the plastic bezel that goes into the bumper.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Does your headlight switch have a fog position? If not then I doubt it is wired. This was just covered in another thread a few days ago.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM
dodgegirl05
Captain

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Does your headlight switch have a fog position? If not then I doubt it is wired. This was just covered in another thread a few days ago.
mine didn't either but i still had the wires to plug the fogs in! when i bought them they sent me a new switch to replace the one i had in it!

you pull ur switch out to turn them on right??

Old 03-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgegirl05
mine didn't either but i still had the wires to plug the fogs in! when i bought them they sent me a new switch to replace the one i had in it!

Yea the wiring is all there, I'm not sure if the lower trim levels have it or not though. The 02-08's have it but from 06-08 I think you have to have your pcm flashed by the dealer (maybe that was just for the hi beam deal but idk).

Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Keep in mind the Headlight switch only grounds a specific resistance which becomes the signal to the FCM to send a signal to the PCM via J1850 to turn the fog lights on.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by dodgegirl05

Dodgegirl,
Did you have to install a relay in the IPM? Or did everything work by just changing the headlight switch? My 03 had no wiring at all.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Dodgegirl,
Did you have to install a relay in the IPM? Or did everything work by just changing the headlight switch? My 03 had no wiring at all.
What's you trim level? I think if you have the lower trim levels the option wasn't there from the factory.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
What's you trim level? I think if you have the lower trim levels the option wasn't there from the factory.
Shiloh, my 03 is a SXT base model.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Shiloh, my 03 is a SXT base model.
That could be why yours was so much different, I'm not 100% but I would be willin to bet thats the difference. Cuz the only guys I have ever heard of not having the factory fog light harness preinstalled have had base models. The factory didn't really care much as far as luxury goes and extra options for the lower trim levels, by this I'm not tryin to bash your truck in any way at all but that's how they come from the factory.

Quick Reply: 05 Fog lights