3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions?

So when I bought my truck at stock I was hitting 19MPG. Since then I have put in a bullydog tuner, power wire. My mileage is crap now. Like I am talking 13-14!

I have tried to put it back to stock, I.E. Reverting stock settings on my tuner, and removing the power wire. Really did no difference. I mean 1MPG but that might just be a give or take thing.

I'm just wondering, I'm going to take my truck into the dealership for an oil change...(I have 1 free since I bought it, I will do my own after ) Its heavily nearing the mark. So do you think that that oil change will bring me back up? I will probably put synthetic in.

The other thing is I am sure that the plugs are still stock. I have not replaced them, and no records show they have in the past. My truck has only 52000kms on it. Would putting some new plugs in help? All 16 of them :S. I have been looking at the E3 plugs, however I have no idea where to buy them in calgary .

Anyways give me your guy's thought, it would be much appreciated!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to change the plugs and look at cleaning the throttle body. Yea, all 16 and IMO just use the champions that came in 'em. You'll gain a few MPG. I did in my 4.7.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Technically, you're at plug-change time, but just barely. What method are you using to determine the mileage?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Nate769
All Star

I thought about plugs for sure....i like the sounds of the e3 diamond fire ones, just wanted some reviews on people who have used them...

The other thing I thought about was a throttle body spacer? Whats your thoughts on that?

I calculated it using several methods, by hand, the overhead console, and my tuner, resetting all at the time of a fill-up, and all of them very close to each other. However before my mods i was just doing paper and overhead console.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Nate769
All Star

Anyone?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Throttle body spacer is an epic failure. No go on that one. As far as plugs go, just from what I've read on here the expensive plugs don't give you really any gains over the factory champions. Just an extra expense and when you have to change 16 plugs I would think that would come out to a pretty penny over buying a 2 or 3 dollar champion plug.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I just wanna say Ive NEVER seen 19!! LOL

Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 AM
harby
Professional

I seem to be at the same point, was getting consistent 17-19mpg's per tank now I'm only getting 12-13. My truck is completely standard except for a K&N panel filter and that's not the cause. I am also due an oil change soon but am thinking spark plugs now and my truck only had 15,000 miles on the clock. I'll recoup the cost of the plugs in about 2 tanks of fuel.

I'm going to replace the plugs with the standard ones, based upon what has been said on here about the lack of difference between the standard plugs and the expensive ones.

Paul

Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Duroc
Professional

I changed mine with the standard Champions at 30,000. Milage varies of course but average city/highway is around 17 for me. Don't go by the computer, sometimes its close but not as good as doing the math yourself.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I just wanna say Ive NEVER seen 19!! LOL
19 is the most i have seen....we are pretty flat here in alberta just the odd hill or two...so MDS really works here, and thats why i think i get my 19...or DID get it

I thought maybe MDS was not engaging was the problem so i installed my light and it comes on so i know its engaging.

Why are the TBS full of it? I heard some good things about it?

Could an oil change and replacement spark plugs do that much? The other thing i thought about was to put in a CAI or just an intake in itself to get rid of the stock intake. I did check the filter and its clean as ever so i am pretty sure thats not it...I have also thrown some injector cleaner in and reset the pcm (just cheap stuff i could do) does not seem to help, nor did i think it would but i thought i would try it...?

Quick Reply: Opinions?