3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Antenna mount removal and grill removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM
HellBent4Leather
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna mount removal and grill removal

Has anyone ever removed the antenna mount from the fender? My truck came from Fla and the sun baked/bleached the black trim parts - door handles, bumper steps and antenna mount. I was able to remove everything but that antenna mount from the fender and gave it all a nice coat of trim black (tails covers, too), it looks alot better but that nub on the fender is driving me insane. I'd like to take care of that today since it'll be a bit slow.
Also considering paitning the stock grill but it looks like the plastic locks holding it on (about 12 per side) would probably snap off.
Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by HellBent4Leather; 03-14-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

I'd like to know about this too...the antenna mount I mean.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Matt99
Champion

I painted mine. If I remember right, you take that nut off with the three indention (supposed to use a special tool, i used channel locks and a rag) and then unscrew. But watch the dang cable, it will fall off in your fender and its HELL to get out!!!

I painted it match. looks alot better, and I painted the antenna. It has held up really well for two years. And you take the 8 or so screws/nuts holding the grill on out, then those 4 inserts are held in by those plastic tabs. Just be patient with them and have extra flatheads laying beside you. Some will bream, but its no big deal

Old 03-14-2010, 01:57 PM
HellBent4Leather

Originally Posted by Matt99
I painted mine. If I remember right, you take that nut off with the three indention (supposed to use a special tool, i used channel locks and a rag) and then unscrew. But watch the dang cable, it will fall off in your fender and its HELL to get out!!!

I painted it match. looks alot better, and I painted the antenna. It has held up really well for two years. And you take the 8 or so screws/nuts holding the grill on out, then those 4 inserts are held in by those plastic tabs. Just be patient with them and have extra flatheads laying beside you. Some will bream, but its no big deal
Awesome, tyvm Matt99! So when removing that nut, the cable must be attached somehow, even if ever so slightly, right? Even if the cable dropped it would be OK anyway because I never listn to local radio now with ipod and sat radio. And I fell for the GrillCraft black mesh, may just pony up the 200 clams for that and keep the stock grill JIC! Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Matt99
Champion

well you can get it, its not THAT bigga deal. I took a coathanger and got it.

I think its a plug. it was like two years ago, so Im not completely sure. It was not a big deal though, like 20min tops to take it out

And yea, that grillcraft black mesh looks good. I just dont wanna pony up that much right now for a grille (I REALLY want the RBP grille)

Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GUTTAH GRILL !! ha ha Cheap too!! But seriously folks anyone kow what/how to "shave an antennae" ??!!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Deviate
Professional

This probably getting off topic and won't help you, but maybe someone else reading this could benefit. Being in FL I can vouch for the effects of the sun on the black plastic trim. What I have done lately is started using Black Magic Tire Wet Foam on the black plastic parts. It shines them up nicely and I haven't seen any detrimental issues from it. The only thing is that it will leave a little bit of greasy film on the paint but that is easy enough to clean up after the fact.

I got the idea from a video I had seen about cleaning up an engine. The guy in the video hosed off his engine compartment really well and then covered the whole thing in tire foam. When it dried it looked very nice.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 PM
albertadodge

I've never heard of any kit to shave the antennae. the only method i know of is to take it off and then MIG in a new piece of metal and of course repaint lol. i was planning on doing it to my truck but they wanted 400 bucks. friend of mine got his done when he got t-boned. so unless you wanna hit someone i dont know of a cheap easy method lol.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea you just have to put a filler piece and repaint the panel...

And I have just begun to paint every piece that is exposed to the sun. No more fading

Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

matt, how do you get to the antenna? i tried to go through the engine bay and that was no luck lol. i assume you have to take the wheel and then the well liner off...

Quick Reply: Antenna mount removal and grill removal