3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plugs 2007 HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Straightedge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs 2007 HEMI

I'm getting ready to do a tune up with 34k miles on it and I was wondering, how hard is it to change the spark plugs on a 07 HEMI? and is there a certain brand that I should get? or are they all about the same?. Also do HEMI's have spark plug wires?.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FRom what i've seen yes they are located in the center of the cyl mhead in each cyl. If that makes sense. (Please anyone correct me if i'm wrong)You start by removing the hose clamps that lead too the hemi hat. next take out the two bolts that hold the nhemi hat ....should slide out torward you a orange ring on throttle body is left position that near the edge too ensure sealing hemi hat for later.#rd Now your heads are exposed you'l find wies and what I call aspark plug plate, that should unbolt and youpull that strt up exposing the spark plugs. get a deep sp plg socket nwith a swivel and have at it. when installing do not over tighten thats how they brk. Let me know how you made out seems early for spk plgs. thanks....

Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

34K might be a bit soon, but the book does say 30K. You could probably go to 40 or so. My Chrysler has 46 on it and seems fine. When Advance next offers a deal on plugs, I'll order them.

NGK 5306s, torqued to around 14 ft/lbs. Some folks use anti-seize, some don't. It may be easier if your remove the left front wheel and fender liner to reach the four plugs on the driver's side back two cylinders. I've read the passenger side back two are a PITA, too.

Mark the coil packs and cylinder location before you start and make sure you blow out any sand, debris that has collected in the bottom of the plug well. Lotsa folks have learned a whole new vocabulary on this project. Take your time and have fun.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
rocket23
Champion

Guess i'm right I never tried one but I will be soon.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Originally Posted by Straightedge
I'm getting ready to do a tune up with 34k miles on it and I was wondering, how hard is it to change the spark plugs on a 07 HEMI? and is there a certain brand that I should get? or are they all about the same?. Also do HEMI's have spark plug wires?.
There are no plug wires on the '07's. You have 16 plugs. Each coil pack has 2 plugs under it. The hardest set is the drivers side rear, because the brake booster is in the way. It is doable, but it's not particularly fast. You will definitely need extensions and swivels. Heck, I actually used 2 swivels on a few of the plugs.

I'm not terribly mechanical, and I was able to change the plugs @ 30k. It took about 5 hours over 2 days, taking my time, trying to make sure I didn't screw up anything. I'm sure I could do it faster the next time. My back hurt for several days afterward from leaning over that engine for so long.

Most people use the standard copper Champion plugs. Take the opportunity to clean your throttle body as well.

joe

Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
rocket23
Champion

Guess the o6's have double plugs too??

Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

I believe all HEMI's have 16 plugs. However, I think the earlier HEMI's had a coil and spark plug wire, versus the dual-spark plug coils, but I'm not an expert on this. There are plenty of people on here who should be able to answer.

joe

Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Straightedge

Alright kewl thanks guys for the info. Ill be attempting this next weekend ill let yall know how it goes.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
RACERAM9
Professional

Originally Posted by LinerJoe
I believe all HEMI's have 16 plugs. However, I think the earlier HEMI's had a coil and spark plug wire, versus the dual-spark plug coils, but I'm not an expert on this. There are plenty of people on here who should be able to answer.

joe
you are correct sir 06-^ coil packs but all have 16 plugs

Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Good to know that I had my information correct.

joe

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs 2007 HEMI