3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd generation v/s 4th generation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd generation v/s 4th generation

Since my brothers owns a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 I have had the oppurtunity to be exposed to the truck quite handily. I've been able to observe what are things I like about the truck and what are some of the things I dislike about it. In summary, if the new 4th generation ram didn't offer a higher horsepower hemi motor, I would choose my 3rd generation Ram over it in a heartbeat.

When I drive my truck, I feel like I am in one. I really enjoy how relatively high up my truck stands. I also like the space in my cab, it's very roomy for a regular quad cab. The power in the motor is all there too. Finally, my mind is at ease knowing my truck uses leaf springs in the rear.

I simply am just not crazy about my brother's truck having a coil-link suspension in the rear. You can talk me blue in the face about how it has the identical specs as the leafspring configurement, but I don't care. I think it looks silly seeing all of that action going on underneath the truck; not to mention, it hardly makes a difference in ride quality over my leafspring setup. Additionally, they really sized down the new quad cabs. As I've noted before, I'm sure they shrunk them a little bit now since they offer a true crew cab trim, but still, it's way too small. I can hardly get in the back without making front seat passengers slide their seats 6-8 inches forward. Finally, I don't like how the new rams sit so low. Sure they look good without a load, but the moment a payload over 500 pounds is in the bed, the truck is sagging beyond my taste. I love the power of the new hemis, but I sincerely mean it when I say I enjoy driving my 2005 over my brother's 2010 Ram. I think dodge made these trucks too soft. Dodge guys like rugged trucks, I don't know why they regressed from there 1994 2nd generation model and went along the likes of Fords 1997 F-150.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had a chance to run your truck against your brother's truck?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I haven't yet, probably because just when I got the superchips installed, he had his diablo predator installed, so I'm sure if anything we're right back to where we were again lol.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

You should run him at least once and see how the 3rd gen stacks up to the 4th gens additional power.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
rocket23
Champion

Hell why not go bumper to bumper like they do in youtube lol!!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

There is no way a similarly modded 3rd gen could beat a 4th gen. Its just not gonna happen. I'd like to see how much faster the 4th gen is though, and I'd also like to see what kind of mods it takes in a 3rd gen to match a stock 4th gen.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Lol, those videos always wake me wonder what people are thinking when they f up a nice truck doing stuff like that.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
I'd like to see how much faster the 4th gen is though, and I'd also like to see what kind of mods it takes in a 3rd gen to match a stock 4th gen.
That is basically what I want to see, how close the 3rd gen would stay with the 4th gen and what it would take for the 3rd gen to get around the 4th gen.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Lol, those videos always wake me wonder what people are thinking when they f up a nice truck doing stuff like that.

the funniest one was the girl asking why everyone was laughing for what seemed like an eternitylol I think the dodge blew the chevy's tranny on that one yuk yuk yuk

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

There's just no way my truck keeps up with his. They are two different trucks. His is lower to the ground, more aerodynamic, lighter, more powerful, and a better shifting transmission. If one were to base their quality of a truck on speed and power, the 4th generation ram would easily win that battle. You know the 4th generation ram is fast if it makes our 3rd generation rams feel like a 5.4L Triton v8.

Quick Reply: 3rd generation v/s 4th generation