3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Damn boots!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Josh E
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn boots!

So i get home today after work and was about to wash the truck and noticed grease on the front driver side rim. Crawled under the front of the truck and seen where i had a small rip almost like a puncture in the outter boot......probably about 1/2" long. I did get the added care warranty with the trucj which covers cv joint, boots, etc. My truck is an 05 and i bought it a few months ago with only 29,000 miles on it. I might be wrong but to me it makes since that if a vehicle is not drove on a regular basis and then 5 years later someone buys it and drives it like a normal person that parts might tend to wear or break quicker. Whats you guys take on this matter??

Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

i doubt the wear issue is from sitting . my truck sees 2k per year from oct -nov the rest of the time it sits. never had a problem

Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you cant get it fixed under warranty and have to shell out the cash for a new one, i HIGHLY recommend the guy on ebay. cvman or something like that. VERY high quality joints. the boots are longer as well, so they have a little more give when they're as strained as mine w/ the lift.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:08 AM
rocket23
Champion

the only thing i can see is bearings maybe start up but really a cv boot probably tore along the seam ya think? sitting that long then getting normal use..I dunno was it garaged all that time did the sun get at it, shlt there[s a million variables here even before you came along at least it,s covered.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 AM
abarmby
Champion

Is your truck stock or does it have the torsion bar tweak leveling, or a lift kit?
These things can put an acute angle on the CV joints.
This not only causes wear and tear on the joints, but also the boots split.
Al.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:12 AM
RamGentry13
Veteran

i wouldnt look into the use issue too hard, prolly coincidence

Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Josh E
Professional

well i'm not sure if it set outside or not. I put 3" keys in he front, now weather i got a full 3" of lift I don't know. I can say i put 1" blocks in the rear and my wheel well gap in the front is 1/4" smaller than out back. I red on here many times that 3" will F something up. My angle is not bad by anymeans and i even had 2nd and 3rd party opinions on it. I'm leaning more towards normal wear and lets face it, sh*t happens! lol

Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Josh E
Professional

i checked out cvmans cv joints on ebay af hemi and it appears his are rebuilds???

Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

correct. rebuilds that will last longer than the oem crap dodge has...

im tellin you. i held the old in one hand and the new in the other (good thing im a beast cause them things are HEAVY!) there is no comparison cvmans are much better built. i cant wait till the passenger side fails so i can put a cvman one in there

Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Josh E
Professional

Awesome! at roughly $90 shipped per, i guess thats not to bad either.....i was thinking they was alot more.

Quick Reply: Damn boots!