3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what do you guys think of these leveling air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that same thing apply to air ride? can it be used with a suspension lift/off road? is it also limited at say a shop where they'd lift it off the ground?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Arnott bags. No frame drilling or welding. Just bolt and go. 5k# capacity as well. I've had mine on for over a year now with no problems. LOOK

I chose them over the others because these sit over the axle rather than on the springs. These cannot be used for lifted trucks unless you buy lift blocks to raise them up with your lift. The one's everyone else is talking about can go on lifted trucks because the bags get mounted to the leafsprings rather than directly over the axle. I liked the axle idea better plus the no drill install.

At first i really wanted the compressor, but after having them, I am glad i didn't go through the extra hassle. I tow the same stuff all the time and know what my bags will need before loading. 20lbs of air in my bags will allow me to carry almost anything I need. I put 40lbs in them once and that was for 1800lbs of brick.
BTW, the bags are rated for 5,000lbs at 100psi

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Not sure AF, I would imagine there are manufactures that cater to both. Like Dirty said, it's probably dependent on where the bags are installed. I havent looked into an air suspension but I'm surprised there arent more people here that run with them. My dad drives truck and he's had the air suspension for years and it really improves ride quality.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

i dont want an air suspension, but bags are desperately needed. i just towed my cargo trailer on saturday. total weight was almost 7,000. it was extremely front heavy, so my guess is 2500 lbs on the tounge. even with the WDH, the rear sagged like crazy. there was about 3" between tire and fender. surprised i didnt hit the bump stop a time or two on the way to the dump. glad i dont have to do that anymore...

at any rate, bags are on the to do list (along with a bunch of other goodies :X )

Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

ahh you meant the Air Lift kit? The air lift kit has tolerance for off road and lift kits. Just ask hammer about that part. Also, the air lift bags should be fine on a shop lift since the bag frames are welded or bolted into the truck frame and attached to the leafsprings right behind the axle. I dont have any pics of mine but here's one of Hammers just to give you an idea.

Name:  bag.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

There's more pics here

Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well MY truck is going to stay at the height it is. No lifting unless i was to do the 4 corner air suspension but that is still a few years down the road.

So some of you say firestone are good and others say go with air lift.

As of right now im leaning more into the firestone just due to the 5000lb rating, I know air lift makes a 5000lb kit but as far as i can see it is only for the 2500/3500.

As for the compressor kit. Im still not sure on what to do, I will want to get a airhorn kit someday, Maybe within 6 months. If i do i will want a 1.5 or 2 gallon tank and a bigger compressor to handle it. But im not sure on how to do all the airlines so that it would run the bags and horn seperate.

Maybe ill just wait on the compressor kit and see how it goes than when i order the airhorn kit i will get airlines to run to te bags.

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of these leveling air bags?