3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how wide is my rim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire is too wide.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

so we got half and half lol but i am gonna do it anyways, just gonna run low psi which is wat i always do anyways no biggie and lets see this goes

Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hoss67
so we got half and half lol but i am gonna do it anyways, just gonna run low psi which is wat i always do anyways no biggie and lets see this goes

Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ I'm with GotHemi on this one. Your def pushing the limits and I think you'll find yourself wearing out the middle regardless if you go less on the air pressure. Then if you go too low, you'll be wearing out the outer edge of the sidewall. Just not a position I'd put myself in to go a smidgen wider. There is no happy medium for a tire that is too wide for a rim. It just cannot hapen. It will either be convex or conave. Either one will wear prematurely not to mention the loss of traction from improper footprint.
Can you go that wide without rubbing on the upper control arm with just an 8" wide rim???

The rule of thumb for the difference of 4 is just that, a guide. You really need to check out the manufacturers specs for what they reccomend. Some are a little diferent than others depending on the material make-up and design of the tire.
Just for a reference so you get an idea...The reccomended rim size for a 285/70 size tire is actually an 8.5" wide wheel, so your actually running yourt current set-up on a little skinner wheel than what is reccomended. Now, you want to go 3 sizes wider.
The widest tire I would go is 295. So, unless your current tires are worn and need replacement, I'd say spend your money elsewhere.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

And also if you run your pressure that low, you will have awful gas mileage with that low of pressure, we are talking 2 mpg less at least probably, the resistance just from a well aired wider tire is enough to take away a little bit, to have a wider tire aired down it will destroy your gas mileage if you could even pull it off.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
^^ I'm with GotHemi on this one. Your def pushing the limits and I think you'll find yourself wearing out the middle regardless if you go less on the air pressure. Then if you go too low, you'll be wearing out the outer edge of the sidewall. Just not a position I'd put myself in to go a smidgen wider. There is no happy medium for a tire that is too wide for a rim. It just cannot hapen. It will either be convex or conave. Either one will wear prematurely not to mention the loss of traction from improper footprint.
Can you go that wide without rubbing on the upper control arm with just an 8" wide rim???

The rule of thumb for the difference of 4 is just that, a guide. You really need to check out the manufacturers specs for what they reccomend. Some are a little diferent than others depending on the material make-up and design of the tire.
Just for a reference so you get an idea...The reccomended rim size for a 285/70 size tire is actually an 8.5" wide wheel, so your actually running yourt current set-up on a little skinner wheel than what is reccomended. Now, you want to go 3 sizes wider.
The widest tire I would go is 295. So, unless your current tires are worn and need replacement, I'd say spend your money elsewhere.
i got 1.5" hub centric wheel adapters so it dont rub the uca, but i notice many guys on here have stock rims with 12 inch wide tires, i have tires on there right n ow that are 11.3 inches wide, is that .7 of a inch really gonna matter

Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

and i wont run to low psi, but like that dude said before, i have heard of the 4 rule, where u have 4 inches from rims to tires....

Quick Reply: how wide is my rim?