3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tegixxer@yahoo.com
Hey is there a way to check the bulb or do i have to take the dash apart? Thanks
When you first turn your key to the on position, or even right after you start it, all your "idiot" lights on the dash should light up. This is done to check that all lights are working properly. If your CEL isn't lighting up, you may have a blown bulb, or someone pulled it.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Unhappy rough idle

Thank you for bringing this back to the top and all your suggestions. I thought about the idiot lights last nite and the CEL does come on, but thank you after i sat in the truck after doing the key cycle and the truck was on i was staring at the light HAHA Anyway I will go over all the lines tomorrow, i was curious i didnt think the 05 ram Hemis had the IAC? wher is it located? I also was curious if anyone new where the PCV valve was located I was reading on another post that may be an issue. I also wanted to add that this happens only when i put the truck in gear, if i put it back to nuetral its fine. WTF I only had this truck for about 2 1/2months and I love it but i am frustrated as hell. Thanks for all the ideas. I will check all of the hoses and report back

Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wish I could help but Im out of ideas other than maybe a vacuum leak??

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Everything I can think of has either been done by the dealer or doesn't have a CEL to varify it. Im stumped. Maybe check the lines around the brake booster, maybe something there wiggled loose or cracked

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Default rough idling

I will check tomorrow, once again thanks for your help.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 PM
ElHombre03
Default Stalling

You mentioned the gas cap earlier. If it does not click or ratched 3X when closing and have a snug fit, replace it. My 03 would stall out and started bringing up a CEL and I noticed the cap was loose, replaced it and troubles are gone.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting the battery, neg side, turn on headlamps to ensure entire system is drained, wait 5 minutes, turn headlamps off, reconnect battery. This resets the PCM---engine control computer. OR---while you have the entire system de-energized, you may want to check the connecting plugs to the TB, pull it apart, make sure its clean, reconnect. There have been a few rare time here when bad connections have caused the symptoms you describe. Also--Check the flexible inlet pipe from the air filter box to the TB, make sure there are absolutely no cracks or breaks in it. When they cleaned the TB, Did they actually remove it and clean all the surfaces behind the throttle plate??
You may also have some water in your tank---its that time of year----A can of dry gas (red not yellow---red is anhydrous isopropanal--yellow is methanol). You might also try running a can of seafoam through 1/2 tank of gas in lieu of dry gas.
Just some simple, inexpensive things first things first.

The only area I can think that has any vacuum being used is the brake booster---check for leaks using brake cleaner, and the charchol canister, problems here will set a code, including a bad gas cap.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I know that on a previous truck I had, being a furd. I had a bad throttle position sensor. It would drive well until I went to stop or make a corner and the truck would just shut off. I would say you may want to look into that also.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Red face rough idle

Alrite great info thank you all. I was going to post on here that I dont think the mechanic took off the throttle body, he probably sprayed some cleaner and told me he cleaned it. I am taking it off on Sat. I also wanted to say that the gas cap seems ok, it clicks and the rubber seal seems in good condition when i turned the cap upside down. I did not get a chance to look the brake booster over yet. I will do that either tomorrow or Sat. I also will unhook the battery and drain everything before I do it. I think it has to do with a leak i could be wrong but when i start the truck its fine, when I put it into gear with the truck warm or hot the idle drops like theres no pressure, and then if i put it into neautral or Park its fine. Would that have to do with the transmission or it doesnt matter if it does it in gear or not? I tried the key cycle again and nothing. I also tried my cruise control today and it worked fine. I will look over the brake booster and after I take off the throttle body i will update. Where is the Throttle Position Sensor located? Thanks again for the help and ideas.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Hope you get this figured out soon.

Quick Reply: 05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help