3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shock/suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock/suspension question

I've been wanting to do an add-a-leaf to my truck, to help for when I really load the bed up, but I've been torn. I know I would benefit from the extra spring, but I've already put leveling keys in to bring the front up 2 or so inches. It sits nice and level right now, and if I do the add-a-leaf it will bring the rear end up, and I will be back to the front low rake.

So, I was looking at replacing the shocks in my truck anyway, and though expensive, I really like the adjustability of the Rancho 9000xl shocks. Well today, I saw Rancho also makes the QuickLift shocks for the front. I'm thinking that if these bring the front up even more, the add-a-leaf in the rear wouldn't throw off the level stance of the the truck. Also, the QuickLifts are compatable with the adjustability of the 9000xl's.

So, my question is, has anyone tried this setup, will it work like I'm thinking, and is there anything that I'll need to be aware of if I do a setup like this?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

save your money and put on a set of air bags . adjust to the load in your bed with just a quick shot of air .

Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie

I've thought about the bags, but my main issue is that I never know exactly when I will need to load up the truck, and an air bag setup with the onboard compresser is pretty expensive, where the add a leaf setup is pretty inexpensive, and is ready all the time.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont get the onboard set up just the bags are 125 bucks . fill them up at a gas station . your ride will be 100 times better than leafts

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yep and will bounce your a$$ all over the road when there is no load in the truck, been there, done that before. For under $200 you can get a set of bags, install them yourself in about an hour and you can buy a damn $15 12v compressor that would still fill the bags to their capacity (not that you'd ever need that much air to level a load) in about 15-20 seconds...

Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with an add-a-leaf, when unloaded your ride will be VERY stiff, and even bouncy. i still think bags are your best bet. unless you enjoy getting your kindneys rattled out of place.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
yep and will bounce your a$$ all over the road when there is no load in the truck. For under $200 you can get a set of bags, install them yourself in about an hour and you can buy a damn $15 12v compressor that would still fill the bags to their capacity (not that you'd ever need that much air to level a load) in about 15-20 seconds...
yeah, most autoparts stores sell those little compressors that plug into a cigarette ligher. small enough to fit in the back seat storage.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
yeah, most autoparts stores sell those little compressors that plug into a cigarette ligher. small enough to fit in the back seat storage.
Yeah, I carry one in my toolbox I think I paid all of $14.95 for with a built in gauge and all sorts of cool adapters, even came with three needles for filling sports equipment. Is about the size of a lunch box.
I've got one in a compartment on my ATV is about the size of three slices of bread stacked on top of each other and a tire patch/plug kit for on trail emergencies was also around $15. Often I'll use that one to put air in the bags since most often I'm doing it when I carry the 4 wheeler in the bed.
The bags don't require much air at all and even with that small of a compressor I can fill them in under 30 seconds...

Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie

Good points, this gives me something to think about... I didn't realize that adding a leaf would stiffen up the rear so much. Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I happen to have a brand new set of ES9000 rear shocks (nitrogen filled) also if you are looking for some

Quick Reply: Shock/suspension question