3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Using a sander on my bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a sander on my bumpers?

Might be a stupid question but I'm dumb in some ways lol. So Im going to rhino my front bumper in a few weeks. As you know i did my bull bar and came out amazing. Cant wait. I know its going to take a long time to sand it but i was at work today using a hand sander on tables and im just stupid why i havent thought about this. Why not get a cheap 50$ sander and use that to help sand my bumper. I would think it would save me some time and be very helpful and making sure i really sand it good then doing it the old way with my hand and taking forever lol. I dont know why I havent thought about this sooner lol. Would it work good. Put some 300 gritt sand paper on there and go to town lol. Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you doing the chrome on the steel part of the bumper you mean? Id just get a grinder and a wire wheel disc, thats what i used for all that stuff.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

yes its the chrome part.I was going to use a wire wheel disc but then i still have to sand it. I thought using a power hand sander when do 2 things at once if i got heavy gritt paper, it would stip and sand the bumper at the same time lol.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Only problem i see with a larger power sander is the flatness of it not being able to do the contours properly. Sanding with a power tool takes finess and control. Luckily your sanding the bumper before the application...lol
Other than that, you will still have to get your hands dirty and sand the corners and bends properly...etc

Old 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
wyseguy77
Captain

I have a nasty dent in my chome rear bumper and was thinking of doing the same thing but fixing it then painting to match. I've thought of going the hand sander route but believe the an angle grinder with a wire brush will be the best bet, it seems to me in the long run it will take a little less work and get a better quality product. Let me know how it works for ya. I hope to do this before years end. lol

Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wyseguy77
I have a nasty dent in my chome rear bumper and was thinking of doing the same thing but fixing it then painting to match. I've thought of going the hand sander route but believe the an angle grinder with a wire brush will be the best bet, it seems to me in the long run it will take a little less work and get a better quality product. Let me know how it works for ya. I hope to do this before years end. lol
I have before and after pix in the sticky (pix of your 3rd gen.) I did that with b/d power drill and a wire wheel 250 grit by hand primer and paint,I didn't fix the dent why bother. But It came out ok. go for it

Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Matt99
Champion

It would probably cost less than the price of the sander to get it blasted

Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

Ya, my p/c places wants 150 coat and 150 to sand so Doing it myself. I know i will still have to get into the coners myself but having the sander to do the big parts would be helpful. Im going to rhino line it then use factory spray paint on it to match. Its says on the truck bed coating it paintiable so we will see.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Matt99
Champion

hmm im looking forward to seeing it done

Mine wants $50 for each bumper to blast AND coat. That guy is crazy. Look up sandblasters/mediablasters on line or in your phone book. You will find some and they do work pretty cheap

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

50 to blast and coat no freaking way. The price they gave me was the cheapest i could find lol. Most want up to 400 around here. Its craxy

Quick Reply: Using a sander on my bumpers?