3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to Dodges

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:31 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

thicker in waight

Old 03-30-2010 | 01:45 PM
black shadow
Veteran

The biggest difference like ramhunter said is the weight but the reason is specially with the mds motors is because of the bearing tolerances and if you use the 5w30 the oil gets thicker as it gets colder and then it can't get through the bearings like it supposed to .

Old 03-30-2010 | 01:48 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by black shadow
The biggest difference like ramhunter said is the weight but the reason is specially with the mds motors is because of the bearing tolerances and if you use the 5w30 the oil gets thicker as it gets warmer and then it can't get through the bearings like it supposed to .
Fixed it for ya.

Old 03-30-2010 | 02:11 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Is there really that big of a difference in the two weights?

Old 03-30-2010 | 02:15 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by Mega-Hemi
Fixed it for ya.
Might be a stupid question, but isn't oil thicker when it's colder? And it gets less thicker when it warms up?

Old 03-30-2010 | 02:55 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Blacksport
Might be a stupid question, but isn't oil thicker when it's colder? And it gets less thicker when it warms up?
You'll have to ask dirtydog for the professional answer, but the newer weight oils actually get thicker as they warm up. The 5 in 5w-30 is the winter weight (i.e. cold). The 30 is the summer weight(i.e. warm). He's alot better at explaining how viscosity works, I'll see if I can find one of his previous posts explaining all this.

Old 03-30-2010 | 03:06 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by hes2quick
just curious but what is the difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30?
viscosity one is thinner than the other mds motors need a thinner oil to coat the non-firing cylinders too protect against wear damage. firing cylinders build heat which in turn coat the cyl walls easier.Thats it in a nut shell welcome to the forum bud need pix

Old 03-30-2010 | 03:08 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Couldn't find any of DD's posts but I found this on another website:
MULTI-VISCOSITY MOTOR OILS

Most modern motor oils are formulated from various grades of oil so the oil will have the best characteristics of both thick and thin viscosity oils. Multi-viscosity oils flow well at low temperature for easier starting yet retain enough thickness and film strength at high temperature to provide adequate film strength and lubrication.

A thin oil such as a straight SAE 10W oil designed for cold weather use would probably not provide adequate lubrication for hot weather, high speed driving. Likewise, a thicker high temperature oil such as SAE 30 or 40 would probably become so stiff at sub-zero temperatures the engine might not crank fast enough to start.

Multi-viscosity grade oils have a wide viscosity range which is indicated by a two-number rating. Popular multi-viscosity grades today include 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50. The first number with the "W" refers to the oil's cold temperature viscosity rating, while the second number refers to the oil's high temperature viscosity rating.

Note: Motor oils that have a wider range viscosity rating such a 5W-30, 5W-40 and 0W-40 are blended with more base stocks and additives. Because of this, it may be harder for a wider range oil to remain in grade as the miles accumulate (which is why GM does NOT recommend using 10W-40 motor oil. They say it breaks down too quickly and does not say in grade as long as 10W-30 or 5W-30. Also, an oil with a lower winter rating like 0W-20 or 5W-20 will contain a higher percentage of thinner base stock oil (which is typically a synthetic oil). This requires more viscosity improver additive to achieve a the same high temperature rating as a 10W-30, 10W-40 or straight 30 or 40 weight oil.
I'll keep looking.

Old 03-30-2010 | 04:09 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

Congrats on finally getting Rammed!!! Now you gotta mod the crap out of it to give it it's full potential. You will enjoy the truck man... Show us some pics. If you don't want to spend the big $$ on the K&N CAI, just make your own out of PVC and add a Spectre performance filter to it, flow capacity of the Spectre is the same as K&N and so is the air Volocity so save your self some $$. Just do a search form some home made Cold Air Intakes on the site and you will find some pretty nice ones. I will be posting finalized painted pics of mine later in the week, going from 3" to 4" dia.. If you want to know how I build it PM me, this is my 4th one I built out of PVC and it works perfectly. I had one on my 99, also on my 2007 built one for neighbor and also help my buddy butch put one in his 2006. After painting them they look really nice and you can choose where you want it to end up, out of the "engine heat" with less severe angles. The 4" one I just built is sitting on my work bench cost me 75 bucks complete. 45 for the filter and rest was pvc and a rubber coupling to hook to the throttle body. It is not as hard as it sounds..
Again congrats on being a new Dodge owner....

Old 03-30-2010 | 04:50 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

Hey just threw the CAI together to show you what it would look like, Obviously it is not in the truck yet but when it is installed it should look really nice. You can even add stickers to it to jazz it up even more. Watch for my post later in the week or weekend to show it installed and completed. Look at this link below to see the picture.
http://craigsgarage.shutterfly.com/pictures/14

Quick Reply: New to Dodges