3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Pads/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a pic. i know i have posted it couple times in other threads but anyway

Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
ThaChad
Professional

I purchased some R1 Concepts F&R drilled and slotted rotors from ebay, they also have a website: http://www.r1concepts.com/

They have been awesome brakes, I actually changed from the stock rotors to these R1 Concepts rotors with only 1k miles on the truck. So I kept the stock pads as at the time, no one had ceramic's available yet... These brakes stop my 8,000 lb MegaCab beast on a dime. I believe I paid about $170 per set.

Is this the first time you are replacing your breaks? If so, it's quite possible the rear pads don't need to be replaced. You normally replace the front pads 2 times for every set of rear.

As mentioned, unless you are wanting to spend the $$ to replace the rotors, you can probably just have them turned and they will run like new. That all depends on if the rotors are warped, or too warn to turn them or not..

-ThaChad

Last edited by ThaChad; 04-02-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

if you take you rotors to oriely or where ever is turning them they will telll you if the can be turned. i think it was 10 or 15 a piece last time i had it done

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thanks everyone for all of the information! I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean by "turning the rotors"? Is that something I can do or do I bring them to a shop?

I have 43,000 miles on my truck, do you think the rears need to be replaced, or should I just do the front pads/rotors? Thanks!!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by jusjay727
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...ht_2957wt_1165
here ya go joe i love mine and the price is right for a wear out item and they also sell replcement pads for future...awesome shipping time and the job to change em is super easy just goto the nearest a.p store and pick up some brake grease for ceramic pads....

Damn that's a great price Jason. So that comes up front and rear cross drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads? For $250 I will just buy that and do them all. How many miles do you think those will last me? Also, I'd like to do them myself, is there a tutorial on this site to help guide me to do the job?? I would also love to paint all of my calipers red with that kit. I had my calipers done on my neon (only had front calipers lol) and it looked awesome. Thanks guys.

Last edited by 05DodgeRamHemi; 04-02-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

turning the rotors means getting them replained if there is any warp they will shave them down so they are straight again just check your rear pads and see how thick they are not sure how thick they are new but make sure to check the inside pad cause they wear out quicker than the outside ones.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
fbnzippy
Rookie

I have R1 rotors on my Street/Strip Firebird, Love them. With Hawk pads

Oh, and bed them in properly. Most people don;t realize how much is acctually involved in bedding in a set of pads. They will last a hell of a lot longer if you do. Just google it. Theres a fairly extensive process.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:53 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Can anybody guide me on some feedback on the front and rear rotors and pads that Jason displayed on the thread? They look like a great bargain. I also have never changed my brakes but I really would like to do it to save money firstly, and learn to do it secondly. Some guidance on what I need and how to do it would be pinnacle if I'm going to attempt doing this myself lol.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Kinda surprised that nobody is jumping on this thread I really could use the input. If those front and rear pads and rotors Jason posted are good I want to buy them Monday.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had mine since early dec... and rydeslow has had his for over a year and they still look good from what he said...and bedding them is easy its 50-5mph w/o stopping 3x and then 45-5mph w/o stop then 35-5mph w/o stopping then drive with out stopping to let cool....and the changing is str8 forward joe...remove wheels do one side of the brake job ata time that way you can reference back to the other side if necessary theres 2 bolts that hold on the bracket remove them slide caliper off set on bucket dont stretch the hose or kink it...remove cover for resivoir and put baggy over it and tape it closed ....using old pads as a plate and a c-clamp press in cylinder put ceramic grease on all parts that touch on pad put pads in...pull off rotor put on new...reassemble....those are some ****ty directions but for the most part they are right...youtube man watch a vid...

Quick Reply: Brake Pads/Rotors