3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Pads/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads/Rotors

Looking to do front and rear pads/rotors on the truck. I was going to have it done but everybody wants $750 plus; it's rediculous. So I will be doing them myself.

Firstly, I am not completey sure how I can confirm if both the rear and front need to be done, or just one of the sides. Should I replace them all regardless?

Secondly, what do you guys suggest are a good set of affordable pads/rotors for our trucks? I'd like to try some ceramic pads with some cross-drilled slotted rotors, but I have a feeling that might push the budget. Your suggesstions would be really helpful and I am eager to purchase the parts once I know what I need to get to do this.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at my thread. silvers gonna have a busy weekend. i just got front ceramic pads for 50 bucks...

Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

to check them take off your tire and pop off a pad if its worn to the metal ist bad , the rotors are a different story they could be turned if they are in ok shape .

as far as a set goes i have seen guys run the e-bay sets no problem ...think they are brake motum ?? was like 150 so its pretty cheap

Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i got brake motives powerstop rotors and clean ride ceramics and they compare highly to any i would buy at the local parts store...i paid like 150 shipped in 3 days on ebay from brake motive and they are powerstop slotted and drilled had since begin dec and still look new and work excellent they stopped me tonight from slamming into a car that ran a red on my green...very close call but thanks to my brakes and me seeing the guy coming i avoided it....oh and i think they do a full set for 250 ish....

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Awesome, I think I'd like to just replace the entire set so I can start fresh with a matching set. Can you get me a link to this? Will it come with the pads and rotors for front and rear??

Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

while you got your brakes and rotors apart you should check your axel seals for leaks because if you got the e brake like mine where it grabs on the inside of the rotor instead of using the calipers it will screw your ebrake pads up plus its easy to see once you got it all apart.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

No way on hell I would pay that much OP. Glad to see you arent either.

For all of those who say they are running these nice and costly pads, thats nice, but if I dont get a lifetime warranty on them to be replaced by a fresh set when I wear a set out then Im not buying them.

Ive got the AutoZone Cmax ceramics on mine and had them for over a year. They have been been great, a lot less dust, they were $60 for the front and rear and lifetime warranty. I just put my second set on the front a few weeks back

As for the rotors, if they can be turned this time, go ahead and do it but expect to replace them next pad change.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...ht_2957wt_1165
here ya go joe i love mine and the price is right for a wear out item and they also sell replcement pads for future...awesome shipping time and the job to change em is super easy just goto the nearest a.p store and pick up some brake grease for ceramic pads....

Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

while you are down there paint your calipers. you will thank me later. i used the brush on kit. 18.00 at advance auto

Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

Most times its only the front that needs to be replaced? back ones are only used about 20% to stop you so they last so much longer.. These trucks are heavy so expect to do the fronts every 2 years depending on how many miiles you do

Quick Reply: Brake Pads/Rotors