3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Different Muffler Idea (import car muffler)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM
WhiteRamTRX4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put an AeroTurbine 3030 on mine and it sounds great! I would think that they would sound good on a dual exhaust.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by John M
I don't know why this style muffler would make a v8 sound like crap? I also don't know how it couldn't handle the flow either -- there are 4 cylinders that push more air through the exhaust than the Hemi does. I know mine does but I use 2 mufflers.

i'm not saying they don't exist, but which 4 cyl are you talking about? even the s2000 screaming at 8k with the 2.2L is less than the hemi at 4k.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional

If you are willing to spend the cash to find out what it sounds like, then do and let us know what happened. Some previous posts make good points that you get what you pay for. I see cheap mufflers claim that they work on almost anything with an engine, and more expensive mufflers have a limited application for each part number. The reason why is that most mufflers have a resonance chamber that is tuned for a displacement range of engines as well as some other factors beyond my understanding. A muffler is a harmonic device that attempts to limit the natural frequencies that generate the drone everyone dislikes. It is difficult, if not impossible, to limit droning just due to the varying rpm ranges that a muffler sees, let alone for many different sizes and number of cylinders of engines.

In the end, everyone has different tastes. Your obviously interested in the idea, so give it a try. Just be prepared for disappointment if it drones and does not have the pitch you were expecting because those mufflers were designed for a different application.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
i'm not saying they don't exist, but which 4 cyl are you talking about? even the s2000 screaming at 8k with the 2.2L is less than the hemi at 4k.
The ones with turbos

Of course the front end is on now, hiding all the goodness.

No matter how you make the power (turbo, big cubes, etc) it takes about the same amount of air + gas to make X amount of horsepower. So, it's safe to say that my Subaru that puts down ~400hp to the wheels (and similar torque; dyno #s coming this week) is moving more air than my Hemi does. For that I use 3" exhaust to the rear axle that splits into two 2.5" mufflers.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 AM
garretweb2

I know it has been a while, I thought I would update this thread. I saw the light a few weeks ago and instead of buying a ricer muffler for my HEMI I got a great ebay deal ($50x2) on some Magnaflow 10416 Magnapacks. I haven't got them put on yet, but soon. I am thinking of dumping them underneath the truck instead of in front of the tire like I have now. Maybe I will buy a camera then so I can finally post some pics and sound clips.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
megablacktank
Professional

ah man I was kinda looking forward to sseing what it would sound like with the ricer mufflers on there.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

me too

Quick Reply: Different Muffler Idea (import car muffler)