3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal mod idea.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, here is what you do. You know those 2'x4' or 2'x2' fluorescent light fixtures? You know those clear or frosted plastic covers below the bulbs? You can buy replacements at Lowes. Go get a sheet and with a scoring knife, cut you a small piece and use a dremel with a sanding drum to shape it how you want.

Get some LEDs on a circuit board or make you own with parts from ebay of Radioshack and epoxy them to the clear plastic you got from Lowes.

Get your mirror (off the truck) and remove the glass. Look at how and where you want to mount it and cut the backside of the mirror housing. I would drilla 3/8" or 1/2" hols and then use my dremel with a carbide bit and sanding drum to cut out and shape the area where I am going to mount the plastic cover and LEDs. Then use either more epoxy or JB Weld to mount it in the mirror housing.

This will allow you to mount it FLUSH with the mirror housing and give the best look possible. If you get creative you can make whatever shape or symbol you want and mount it in the housing.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Rojhan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Get your mirror (off the truck) and remove the glass. Look at how and where you want to mount it and cut the backside of the mirror housing.
Last time I looked at the schematic, I don't remember the turn signal power going into the mirror harness, and there was no obvious way to run wire through the double-pivot of the towing mirror.

I still like the height near the bumper better.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I promise you that you can run a wire through the door and to the turn signal wires in the D/S kick panel or lights. Trust me, it can be done. ;-)

Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
WhiteRamTRX4
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I promise you that you can run a wire through the door and to the turn signal wires in the D/S kick panel or lights. Trust me, it can be done. ;-)

Are you talked about drilling through the actual mirror? Is this possible without breaking the glass?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I think you and I are talking about two different things here. I am talking about cutting a small section out of the mirror HOUSING and adding a lens with LEDs back there. I think you are talking about putting LEDs behind the mirror to shine through the mirror????

That can be done also but in either case you would not drill a hole through the glass. You would follow the same path of the wires that are in the mirror for the heat or motor adjustment

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Demon-Hemi on DT did it in his tow mirrors. It looks pretty good. He did them on the side of his tow mirrors....not sure if this is what you want to do....

Last edited by TRXHemi; 04-07-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
espinosafell
Veteran

Everybody look at this.... I posted this before and got no looks at it because Im not cool enough . This company makes the mirror with the LEDs installed and you dont have to replace the whole side mirror: http://www.muthco.com/products/kits/220-0164.htm

And for the OP I would call to see if they make ones for the trailer mirrors which I believe they can!!

Last edited by espinosafell; 04-07-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Link no workie....sorry, the product you are looking for is not here.....

Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
Link no workie....sorry, the product you are looking for is not here.....
Just go to the homepage and select your vehicle. It will take you to all the different options.

http://www.muthco.com/

Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive seen those before but I dont want turn signals in my mirrors that bad.

$200 is way to high for me

Quick Reply: Turn signal mod idea.