3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Found on Rear Diff Magnet - What is it? (Pic's)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep thats it. get it out of there.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
yep thats it. get it out of there.
How?? Why?? What the heck is it in there for? Dammit...pumpkin, closed up and fresh fill of Mobil 1 "Liquid Gold"...great NOW ya tell me! LOL I knew I shoulda checked back here before I got done.

Last edited by FireFighter; 04-13-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Get them out of there, they will get into the ring and pinion and grenade your diff if given the chance.
Every one of the stock LSDs will fail at some point.

Funny thing is if you go to the dealer with a tore up rear diff and shattered clips in there, the dealer will say "never seen that happen before"...

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Unfortunately you are going to have to open it up again either to remove the clip or to repair the differential. When I recently had my gears installed, I was talking to the mechanic about the OEM LSD he showed me a pair of bearing caps that he had in he's tool box. They had been ground up badly by the clip fragments floating around in the rearend. Everything had been destroyed including the housing. This wasn't a modified vehicle that they had come out of but just an ordinary daily driver. Pretty scary stuff. Good luck....

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Ok...wow. How do I get them out? How many are there? WTF are they in there for to begin with?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

The mechanic seem to think they were there to assist with assembly. But I don't know.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I'm with him on this,how many are in there I'm getting ready to service mine and I'm gonna pull those little bastards out when I am in there. Just 2 or is there more?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:08 AM
abarmby
Champion

OK guys, take this as golden from a person who's unfortunately had this happen.

There a 4 clutch pack retaining clips in the stock Dodge LSD.
They are actually a "C" in shape, but have that little "W" shape on each end of them.
That is where they tend to snap/break off, right at that little "W" wiggle thing on the end shown in your picture Firefighter. Leaving nasty sharp edges on the remaining clip.

If they break off, three things can and generally do happen.

1) The small metal W works it's way into the gears and BOOM!!!!

2) The full metal clip falls out of the pocket and also gets caught in the gear sets....BOOM again.

3) The larger part of the retaining clip as had happend to me, works it's way out of it's pocket and as the gear sets spin around and around, the sharp edge of the clip caused by this little W shaped thing snapping off, litterally cut's it's way into the bearing caps and the carrier itself. Result, lot's of fine metal particles floating around in the oil contaminating ALL the bearings and seals etc. Plus, as if that's not bad enough, DEEP grooves are cut into the carrier, rendering the whole axel useless!
Result, a new axle from end to end is needed. Yes....this problem IS that bad!

There are also 3 solutions to this problem.

1) Get all the remaining clips pulled out of the LSD QUICK. I ran for over 20K miles+ without any problems. The LSD even worked after a fashion can you believe, and gives creedance to the fact that these clips are used as an aid in the instalation of the clutch packs, during assembly. You will find that there is enough room to pull these little suckers out with good needle nose pliers, if the ends have fallen off them. I pulled out all 3 remaining in my LSD. It's just a little time and patience that's needed to do this.

2) Take it into the dealership if your under warranty, and show them the piece of metal you found and state quite clearly, that your "clutch pack retaining clips are damaged in the LSD". DO NOT say that your C clips are goosed as many have as that's incorrect, and the tech won't have a clue what your on about and the small piece of metal in your hand does not look like anything an axel C clip looks like and he will probbly think your an idiot to boot.

3) Do as Hammer suggested and I did, rip that stock POS LSD out of there and get an Aurburn or DTT installed PDQ!!!

Either way, and I cannot emphasise this enough, get it sorted QUICKLY, before you need a whole new rear end! In fact, DO NOT drive it, until you fix/repair it. The problems that bad and potentially lethal. Who wants a siezed diff at 70 or 80 mph and fully locked rear wheels????

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but, tiem is of the essance and I think the earlier you know the better, so your entire axel doesn't go **** up.

Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-14-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:16 AM
abarmby
Champion

Here's one of my Retaining clips.
Plus a picture of my DTT install with all new bearings and seals.
Al.
Name:  adjusted2.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  P8020006.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  173.7 KB

Name:  DTTadjusted.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  49.1 KB

Quick Reply: Found on Rear Diff Magnet - What is it? (Pic's)