3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Found on Rear Diff Magnet - What is it? (Pic's)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links guys! Yeah Hammer I agree. I will flush it out this weekend per Al's instruction and see if I can get the remaining clips out. A good friend told me as well to use a non-clorinated brake cleaner...that should do the job. I put 160 miles on it today and will probably put another 100 or so before the weekend to where I can get started on it. I just hate having to spend another $80 on lube, but if ya'll think it is wise to do so I will. Then keep finger crossed until I get a new LSD in there.

Thank you all,

Tim

Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better $80 than $1000 for a new rear end...

Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 AM
abarmby
Champion

Hammer is bang on the money with his coment about "Now if you get a false security in that the diff is still quiet and keep running with clips in there and particles in your fluid - it will be"
Typically the diff is quiet, untill a clip gets sucked up into the geear set. There is no indication of clip failure, in day to day driving. It's only on inspection where you find the clips at the bottom of the diff as you did, or sparklies in the oil, that tell the story.

Tim, the only thing that really worries me, is that you found metal in the oil.
It really strongly suggests to me, that one of the clips is out of it's pocket cutting up the carrier. Hence the sparklies in the oil. You ONLY get that in the oil from cuts into the carrier/bearing caps. That's exactly what I found in my diff oil, but mine was much worse. As Weed said earlier, it will eventually be like liquid silver in the oil.
I think luckily, you've just caught it early mate. That's a big plus for you right there.
However and I know you need the truck on the road, the more you drive it without getting that clip outta' there, the more you run the risk of it needing another axle as the clips cut deeper.
As for the fluid. Don't use a high costing brand of synth in there. Get some cheap synth, as your only going to drop it at your earliest convienience. Synth is all pretty much good stuff. Just add the friction modifier to it though. Don't skimp on that.
I tried to get you a pic up of the LSD assy showing the clips, but my pdf won't let me cut and paste it mate. Try and visualise these clips by getting some info/pics on where these clips are, in relation to the rack and pinion etc. Then you will have more success in getting them out.
Hope this helps and good luck mate.
Al.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 AM
rocket23
Champion

wow those pix did an awesome job on my screen lol

Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
FireFighter
Veteran

Al, sent you a PM with my e-mail address if you'd like to send me that pdf. I think that would be a great help in my finding these clips. I hear what you're saying to get them out now and will do. These can be removed with just the diff cover off correct?

Also, yes, I am blessed that I found it early that is for sure. I may end up having to put Mobil1 back in there as that's all the store carries in the 75/140 weight.

Tim

Last edited by FireFighter; 04-15-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
rocket23
Champion

Btw, fire, you really can save your oil, suck it up thrugh a pump at autozone, if there are any fragments in that oil then shlt can it. Otherwise reusing that oil that is *******ly clean kinda makes sense, I'd even go on too the microscopic level and see what you have for oil. a quick look can save $ in the short run. Course 80 bucks is well 80 bucks. imo.
oh and another thing everyone using there stock lsd's don't panic yet, we are not even close to the pos scale that toyota is at . There are still A LOT of stock lsd's out here that are running fine, percentage wise, 1.5% out of 10,000. thats probably quite accuarate btw. That have the failing clips issue.
really v i r t u a l l y???

Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

The pic's did an awesome job on your screen rocket? lol...your avatar does a number on mine..lol

I'm just gonna buy new oil to be on the safe side, crazy that they sell the Mobil 1 75/90 synth for $9 and then double it for the 140 weight. It's just fricking oil!

Did a google search and found a huge thread on DT forum about these damn clips. I'm one of the unlucky ones that doesn't have the 7/70. But I am a lucky one that I've got 169K and no trashed rear end.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
abarmby
Champion

Just dug these out from an old set of files tucked away on my PC Tim.
A picture speaks a thousand words an all that bud.
This is my actual diff and LSD mate with the clips now removed. But it shows you where to look for them,
Al.
Name:  Passengersidemissingclippocket.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  Driverssidemissingclip.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  93.1 KB

Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Very nice Al, thanks. So there are only two (2) that I ned to get out? Thought I saw previously there were four (4). I just took the cover off before heading to parts store for more oil to let it drain.

I guess I need to put the truck on jack stands and rotate the wheels, because now I can't see any of them or at least the one shown in my OP pics and yours. The one on passenger side, how the heck do I get to that one. Also, if they are not broken...what I can do to get them out....

Also on the drivers side far left, would I see it in that pocket...cuz I don't see anything at the moment.

Here's a pic of the driver side, looks like yours. I don't see anything to remove?

Name:  8b238f55.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  0919f8fa.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  135.4 KB

The passenger side, I can now see one of the clips that isn't broken. Still has the "W" end on it. I grabbed it with needle nose, it's not budging. So, I am assuming that it's intact.

Last edited by FireFighter; 04-15-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add pic's
Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
abarmby
Champion

No there are 4 I believe.
One set of two on the left side spider gear assy and one set on the right side spider gear assy.
I turned the wheels round till I could see them and pull them out.
As I say, I think it helps if the ends of the clips have snapped off. This gives room to pull them out. If they're not damaged, leave them in but get a DTT or Aurburn in there asap.
Al.

Quick Reply: Found on Rear Diff Magnet - What is it? (Pic's)