3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

About to buy an 02 Ram 1500 SLT

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 4.7 is a great motor. it doesn't do too bad in my quad cab long bed monster. did you get a carfax? those are awesome they can tell you a whole history about the truck. ask the dealer for one

Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
jimmysux

Well thanks for the replies. I asked him about it, and he was pretty honest about the fact that he only used conventional oil, and really wasn't too keen on it's maintenance. I asked if spark plus, fuel filter, etc had been changed and he said just once.
I can wrench on my own stuff, just been a chevy guy all my life. Right now my 96 s10 has 130k miles on it, I'm just looking for something bigger.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:36 PM
jimmysux

Oh wow, just caught that, so is it the c-clips in the factory limited slip that are bad or what?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
mmstar23
Champion

spark plugs once? :O

just do a good check. get that compression test, look for water coming from the exhaust. and if i had the chance, id pull the oil pan. make sure the radiator is a consistent temp as well. theyre known for the sludge and cooling issues which as stated several times before leads to much bigger issues. good luck!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
matthewbeard
Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmysux
Oh wow, just caught that, so is it the c-clips in the factory limited slip that are bad or what?
They aren't really C-clips but the retaining clips or whatever they are actually called have a nack of coming apart and either sticking to the magnet or causing the rear end to mimic a ford and self destruct. Some people with the LSD pull the clips to prevent it and have had no issues to speak of with their rear end.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM
RamGentry13
Veteran

looks like a clean truck man, as stated before get a carfax for piece of mind

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jimmysux
Well thanks for the replies. I asked him about it, and he was pretty honest about the fact that he only used conventional oil, and really wasn't too keen on it's maintenance. I asked if spark plus, fuel filter, etc had been changed and he said just once.
I thought the fuel filter was a non serviceable part located in the tank as part of the fuel pump. If he told you he changed that I'd start wondering unless '02's came with a fuel filter that I'm not aware of. Most definitely time to do some plugs and all kinds of maintenance.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
I thought the fuel filter was a non serviceable part located in the tank as part of the fuel pump. If he told you he changed that I'd start wondering unless '02's came with a fuel filter that I'm not aware of. Most definitely time to do some plugs and all kinds of maintenance.
02's are just like the rest, it's a non serviceable part that can only be replaced if the fuel pump is replaced.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
jimmysux

Well I went and test drove it. Looks like I wont be getting it. The transmission is not long for this world. Very firm shifts and some slippage.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:28 AM
jimmygunns

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
Make sure to check the oil. I know the 4.7's sometimes have sludge problems leading to catastrophe. I must say though, that is a clean @ss truck for being an '02. The mileage isn't that bad for being that old either. I'm already over 101 thousand and mine's an '04. Make sure you look under that dash carpet for cracking also.
Is this cracking on all the '02 Rams? Anyone have a picture as to where to look or what to look for? Just wondering. I have an '02 1500 QC Sport. Thanks!

Quick Reply: About to buy an 02 Ram 1500 SLT