3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pcm reboot WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
kcdaniels
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm reboot WOW

I had a 07 4x4 QC and loved that truck, but was a lease ( will not do that again) and had to turn it in. so looked around and found a nice 04 sport QC with 60,000. also a hemi. any way this hemi just did not have the same power that my heavier 07 did. Just felt sluggish. Really noticed today towing a light trailer. Did a search and came up with the pcm restart, and with out a doubt a huge improvement Got a lot more pep.

Just hard for me to get over doing something with a computer and engine, I'm old school where you changed your points and plugs for that kind of improvement LOL

Is like my laptop where sometimes it just gets buggy and you restart it and its all good again ?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
svkb
Rookie

First time post here, but I've been lurking since I decided that I wanted a ram.

I ended up with an '05 with about 70,000 km. Everything runs great on it, but I'm curious about this pcm restart.

What is it and could I benefit from it?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM
mike_r
Professional

Resetting the PCM just clears the way it learned you drive. It can be done by disconnecting the battery for a few mins.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do the battery way, you'll lose all your radio settings and everything.

pop the hood, open the fuse box, find the pcm fuse (25 or 26 or something?). pull the pcm fuse (pcm bus??). get in the truck, buckle the seatbelt (yeah its important), turn the key to run, then off, run, then off, run, and you should here ding.......ding ding. if you hear the double ding, you're good. plug the pcm fuse back in and start it up

Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM
kcdaniels
Amateur

Yea thats how I did it, pull the pcm fuse ,my case #23. buckle the seatbelt and turn key on, wait for lights to go out, engine light stays on and I had 3 chimes, turn off, replace fuse and test drive lol

I just spent about 30 min doing a search trying to fine the post with the info but could not find it again errr...

Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM
kcdaniels
Amateur
Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
TangledCable

I am sure that in a few days of driving it it will relearn your driving style and attempt to remap power and torque curve to your foot. It was possible the guy before you was pulling a trailer and that causes the vehicle to change its shift points to accomodate the extra load. I have had the very same thing happen with my 2004 dodge minivan. I pulled a tent trailer over the weekend and found it took a couple of days for the vehicle to relearn that I was no longer pulling a trailer. What a dog in the meantime though!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
svkb
Rookie

So these trucks actually learn how you drive and adjust accordingly?? I thought that they were just pre-programmed to run a certain way and then adjust shift points if it felt the load required it. Actually adjusting the pcm to suit your driving style is pretty cool! I'll definitely be trying this tonight as I know for a fact that the previous owner pulled a 5th wheel trailer. (not sure how big though)

Could it actually cause it to make less power if the previous owner never really worked it?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I am quite fluent with pulling my PCM fuse and resetting it......... ;-)

Old 04-15-2010, 03:09 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

^^^thats just wrong ,shilo

Quick Reply: pcm reboot WOW