3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will this work? Gauge content

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
caliboy@heart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work? Gauge content

I just got my single gauge a-pillar in the mail yesterday. I want to add a tranny temp gauge in there. Will this gauge work? http://www.jcwhitney.com/ultra-lite-.../p2022420.jcwx I know there are plenty of threads on this but they all have different gauges listed. Thanks all for the help.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

bump.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caliboy@heart
I just got my single gauge a-pillar in the mail yesterday. I want to add a tranny temp gauge in there. Will this gauge work? http://www.jcwhitney.com/ultra-lite-.../p2022420.jcwx I know there are plenty of threads on this but they all have different gauges listed. Thanks all for the help.
The pillar mount is a 2-1/16" mount. But to make it operational you will have to drop the trans pan, weld a sensor bung to the pan and replace the fluid lost when pan was dropped and run the wires. I don't know what that might cost you. I decided to go with the AirForce interceptor gage. http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=9189
I don't have to drop the pan and the gage plugs into the OBDII port and I can monitor every input on the truck that goes to the PCM, plus data logging. In the long run for about the same or littl more money as the single gage when finally installed. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck...

Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

No need to drop the pan for a temp install. Its been recommended to use one of the test ports in the trans to mount the sending unit. This seems to be what everyone does in regards to doing a trans temp gauge.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by hemiguy0302
No need to drop the pan for a temp install. Its been recommended to use one of the test ports in the trans to mount the sending unit. This seems to be what everyone does in regards to doing a trans temp gauge.
Hemiguy, that is good information. Blew one of my main reason for going with the Interceptor, but still good to know. lol

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hemiguy0302
thats where i have mine located, works great. to the OP. your link doesnt work, but as long as you are buying a tranny temp gauge from autolite, you should be just fine. im thinking about selling mine, and getting a long sweep with more precise numbers. i used the same one that silverbullet did in his DIY in the faqs. dont like it too much, there arent enough numbers on the thing.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
gasguy
Professional

i love my interceptor. it meets and exceeds my expectation. i monitor trans temp continously on the bottom field and scan oil temp or press, knock or advance or the top field. the interceptor allow you to set alarms on 2 parameters like high trans temp or low oi pressure. Bonus feature, wifey thinks its the coolest thing since the wine cube

Name:  113.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  10.2 KB

Old 04-17-2010, 01:12 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

The test port is what everyone on here seems to use and is a great idea BUT.. For some reason my POS doesnt have one so check on that before you go buy all the guages and chit just to have them sit around in a box.. I had to order one of these and Im going to splice it into the tranny line going from the trans to the cooler.. Just a heads up.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:55 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
The pillar mount is a 2-1/16" mount. But to make it operational you will have to drop the trans pan, weld a sensor bung to the pan and replace the fluid lost when pan was dropped and run the wires. I don't know what that might cost you. I decided to go with the AirForce interceptor gage. http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=9189
I don't have to drop the pan and the gage plugs into the OBDII port and I can monitor every input on the truck that goes to the PCM, plus data logging. In the long run for about the same or littl more money as the single gage when finally installed. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck...
look at my trans install thread. never dropped the pan...

Old 04-17-2010, 02:11 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Hemiguy, that is good information. Blew one of my main reason for going with the Interceptor, but still good to know. lol
The AI will exceed your expectaions, remeber its not just a trans temp gauge......

Quick Reply: Will this work? Gauge content