3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fluid leak has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fluid leak has me stumped

I have an '05 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7L engine. At 69K miles I popped a trans code and had the trans serviced under warranty (dealer said it needed seals replaced). About a week later I noticed some small drips of a reddish fluid underneath the front of the truck. Looking underneath I saw red fluid on the power steering hose (reservoir to cooler) right where it clamps to the cooler. I figured I had a hose going up so I replaced it, yet the fluid leak remained. I even installed a better clamp on the hose but I still had the leak.

I few days ago I noticed dripping coming from the right bottom side of the radiator. Originally, I had seen this red fluid on the bottom of the left side of the radiator, but I figured it was power steering fluid from that hose that was squirting up and hitting the bottom of the radiator. Now I'm not so sure. The trans fluid level is fine, as is the power steering fluid level. There is definitely no leak from the trans or power steering coolers.

I have no idea where this fluid is coming from. Other than starting the engine and laying underneath the front until I see the fluid start to drip, I am stumped in figuring this out. The funny thing is, as I mentioned, I never had this problem until after I had the tranny serviced.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdhuntr
I have no idea where this fluid is coming from. Other than starting the engine and laying underneath the front until I see the fluid start to drip, I am stumped in figuring this out. .
sounds like a plan man. I would be sure to wipe everything down real good to make sure no fluid is accumulating any where. Go ahead and get under there and have some one start her up, or use the remote start if you have one. That would be the best way to nail it down. Good luck

Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran

I did an engine wash last weekend, so everything is clean as a whistle underneath the hood, except for those two drips. I hate a dirty engine. Hate it!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might wanna rethink where the leak is. first off, leaks are like electricity, they only go where the least resistence is. ie; gravity plays a role on where you see the leak and where it actually is. alwys check the highest point where that fluid can be when looking for a leak. Then work your way down . hope that helps

Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 PM
abarmby
Champion

Try to get a small sample on the end of your finger, of this fluid.
If it tastes very sweet.....yes taste it, it's coolant.
It won't kill you if you just have a drop on your tongue and it will tast extremely sweet if it's coolant.
If that's the case, I'd bet an English pound to a penny that it's a small split on the plastic end tanks, of these crap radiators that Dodge put in.
It's a very and all to often problem with these rads.
Mine did the same thing and was a pig to find the leak.
Al.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can taste your fluids all you want i'd rather do the feel test personally.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by rocket23
You can taste your fluids all you want i'd rather do the feel test personally.
Taste test is better lol but its all good.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran

I didn't taste it, but it's definitely not coolant. Of course, it's raining today so I'll have to check it again tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Fluid leak has me stumped