3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any major problems with the 2007 3500 trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Down South
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any major problems with the 2007 3500 trucks?

Hello, I'm new here. Of course you can see that by looking at my post count and join date. I've been a Ford guy for years but I'm seriously looking at a 2007 Dodge 3500 dually with the 6.7L engine. It has the auto transmission.
I've just invested in a travel trailer that is a little too heavy for my 3/4 ton truck (2003 Powerstroke 7.3L engine). The truck I’m looking at is owned by someone whom I know and has been taken care of. The truck has 61,000 on the clock.

1. I’ve got a few questions for you guys. Are there any major problems that I need to be aware of?
2. I’ve heard of injector problems but that seems to be mostly associated with bad fuel.
3. Anybody running an aftermarket fuel filter before the regular fuel filter to avoid this? What brand and model?
4. I’ve heard of turbo problems, at least three by people that I know.
5. The filter on the exhaust, how big of a deal is it? And replacing it with a delete kit, what do you folks think about that?
6. What about the tranny and rear end, any problems there?

I’ve searched the internet and there just isn’t a lot out there about problems. I’ve ran across a few cracked dashboard threads and bad injector threads. I’m not sure what’s causing the cracked dashes. Some say Armor All causes it.

Anyway, any input would be helpful. I know this is short notice. I told the guy that I would let him know tomorrow if I wanted the truck or not.

Thanks, Sam

Old 04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
mmstar23
Champion

as far as major problems go there arent too many to my knowledge. some common ones pertain to the weaker dodge transmission. however yours has the 68RFE which is a little more stout than the previous 48RE. the DPF is the other issue that causes problems with the 6.7, but with a DPF delete and an EGR delete you shoulnt have any issues with the truck unless you plan on making massive amount of torque and horse power which will result in a pile of scrap metal for a transmission. the injector problem seems to be more evident on the 5.9 which in turn leads to melted cylinders, most commonly #6. i new set of injectors will eliminate this, but i dont think its as much as issue with the 6.7. as far as fueling, id look into the AIRDOG or FASS. turbo problems are not that common IMO, but do your research on the 6.7. im not positive on that issue, but i havent heard much about turbo issues on the 6.7, so im assuming its not a huge or common ordeal. already answered your question about the DPF......delete it. no issues with the rear end. as far as gearing, 3.73 is better for economy, but if you plan on getting larger tires id prefer the 4.10s and the trans question was answered as well...it is fairly weak..kind of a hit or miss thing, more likely a miss, but not all, and you should be alright for awhile if you remain stock or just do an exhaust. a nice, solid transmission should consist of a billet torque converter, input/intermediate/out put shafts, valve body. good luck with the purchase and you'll love your cummins. if you decide to lift it, i can tell you a **** ton about suspension and make that baby ride like a Cadillac.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Down South

Thanks for the reply mmstar23. I may go with a mild program later on. The guy that owns the truck has a SC Programmer but he runs it stock. The programmer comes with the truck. He tried a couple of the programs but went back to stock and left it there.
I've done some research on the programmer and read some of the SC Sticky Thread.
I had a SC programmer for my F-250 but gave it away several years ago. I am running a program in my 7.3 but I had a new PCM programmed with an 80 HP Economy/Tow program and it works great. I keep the old PCM stashed here at the house with the factory programming in it.

Do not misunderstand me though. I don’t have a beef with Super Chips. I know that SC has some good programmers out there. The programmer that comes with the truck is at least a couple years old and I understand there may be updated software for it?

if you decide to lift it, i can tell you a **** ton about suspension and make that baby ride like a Cadillac

I doubt I'll lift it. I had to measure the height to make sure it was not to tall to get into some of the parking garages that I have to frequent. It's actually about 2" shorter than my 3/4 Ton which is good.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM
mmstar23
Champion

a word of advice on the superchips....sell it. sell it and use the money for something else.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Tazman40
Professional

Turbo issues shouldnt be a real factor if the owner did proper cool down after pulling heavy loads.Turbos get eatin up when people lug the hell out of the engine and the exhaust temps get to high and when they pull hard and shut the engine off without letting them cool down.Good insurance is getting a pyro if ya get the truck so u can monitor exhaust temps.Pretty cheap insurance IMO.Grenading a turbo isnt fun,and gets real hard on the wallet.I dont like admitting it but i know,i blew one on a Mack one day and i can tell ya after u clean your pants out,the repair bill is not one u want to see.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Down South

mmstar23, I may just do that with the SC. To be honest, I really don't care about a lot of horsepower but I would be intrested in a mild economy/tow program that works well. Any recomendations on programmers? Also, see the question that I wrote below about a programmer that can reset codes on startup.

Turbos get eatin up when people lug the hell out of the engine and the exhaust temps get to high and when they pull hard and shut the engine off without letting them cool down. Good insurance is getting a pyro if ya get the truck so u can monitor exhaust temps.
I completly agree. I have a pillar pod in my F-250 that I installed three gauges in. A Pyro, Tranny Temp and Boost Pressure.
I picked the Dodge truck up today and it's sitting in the driveway.
I'm going to do a delete on the Cat, DPF and EGR.
A coupe more questions. Who makes the best delete kits? Although I still have a lot of research to do, I understand that the EGR Delete throws codes and sets off what I call the check engine light. I know there is another name for that light in a Dodge but I don't remember right now what it is.
I read somewhere, maybe here that there is a programmer that resets the codes on a 15 second delay before startup. What programmer is it and are there other devices that can cure this problem?

Another thing, This truck has never been in a shop so the original computer code is still in it. Do I need the latest programming or will the original program bo OK?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Also check out the cummins forum board. There just are not a lot of CTD guys over here.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
bulltuck

Has anyone done the Delete for the DPE and Egr without changing the exhaust system, like using the XRT programmer?

Quick Reply: Any major problems with the 2007 3500 trucks?