3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny shudder... culprit is...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, what truckin and hammer said. it cost me about $80 to have the quick learn done. what it does it reset your TCM, and learn all the new clutch volume index #'s, line pressures, shift points, etc.... when i installed my new tranny/VB/TC, it was shuddering before and after the quick learn, it just shuddered less afterward.

seeing that you are having the same issue as me, and we are both running edge TC's and sharadon VB's, i would say the problem lays with one of those two things. i have met up and drove around with Andre from edge a few times, he told me the TC was working just fine, and i believe him. also, i did not have this problem when running just the TC.

i am going to install the new solenoid pack sharadon is supposedly sending me, if that doesnt work, they are sending me another VB to try out.

do a search in 3rd gen rams for posts about trannys with my name on em. ive been dealing with this for a while now, and ive almost tried everything short of driving up to MN from CA and having them look at it for me.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:25 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

just got off the phone with sharadon. Trucky, i suggest you call them up. he told me that the dakota tranny tuning is different than that of a ram, and i guess they have a different VB for the dakota for that reason. maybe you got sent one for a ram. best bet is to call him up.

as for my deal. my call to him right now reminded him again that he still needs to ship my solenoid. he still thinks that should solve my 1-2 shudder. but as for my downshift shudder..... he more or less said that since they built it up so much for upshifts, that the shudder on the downshift might be something i have to "just live with"

Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM
trucky
Record Breaker

Live with?? It is a worse shift than stock tranny when you need it most! I don't think these were tested thoroughly... people either feel no difference or have an issue. Mine was ordered for a Dakota so that shouldn't be it, Andre emailed me and said it wasn't the TC since it only happens after I warm up the truck, so I guess a quick learn is in order, thanks for the info.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, are you running the stage ii or iii vb?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

ive got the stage II VB in a stage II trans. ill be plum surprised if i even get the solenoid this week.

Quick Reply: Tranny shudder... culprit is...?