3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny shudder... culprit is...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny shudder... culprit is...?

I have an 05 dakota with the same tranny as the ram, 545RFE. I recently installed the sharadon stage 3 valve body and an Edge 2800 stall converter at the same time. When I floor it at mid-high speeds, I sometimes get a rough shudder. All the tranny fluid is new and synthetic so it's not that.
I am unsure if it is the TC or the TVB... also I don't think I have a resistor for the TVB like others have mentioned, I do have an SCT tuner if that helps...
The only other thing I can think of is my converter was built to go along with cams and I don't have those in yet so would that affect it's oprerating ability?
Any ideas? Thanks...

Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to PM or talk to olddirtyjohn, he's had tons of experience recently with the Sharadon transmissions and all their toys. I wish I could help buy my knowledge of transmissions is limited. Hopefully he can help you.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

i am having the same exact problem as you. sharadon is being really good at helping me out with it. they are sending me a new solenoid pack now, to see if that fixes it. should be here soon. i will definitely post up the results. feel free to ask me any questions either here on this post, PM or AIM.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

forgot to add. that resistor trick is nice, but wont solve your problem. there is a nice write up on how to do it up in the faqs section.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Please let us know what the resolution is on this for both of you.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

another thing to add. i would have had my new solenoid in 2 weeks ago, but........ sharadon forgot to send it to me. uuggghhh frustrating. but **** happens, im not mad at them.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
trucky
Record Breaker

Thanks for the tip I will email them, keep us posted!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 AM
trucky
Record Breaker

Sharadon sent me this.

> Can you get a quick learn done on the transmission. That will usually take care of the shutter. The transmission adaptives are causing the stutter

A quick learn is a functional test done with a scanner at either the dealer or local shop.

It learns the new clutch fill "time". with the modified vb, the fill "time" has changed.

The vehical has to be running and put into the different gears. Most is done electronically.>>>>>>>>>

-Is this a waste of money or would it be good for my truck to get this done?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Do a search on John's posts regarding his transmission. He's detailed EVERY step quite nicely. I know he had the quick learn performed and it did help in some areas, but DID NOT fix the particular issue you and he share...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think that it would be a waste of money. There are a few things that need the relearn process in order to work right. Unfortunately you have to pay to play, and if this is what they are suggesting I would go a head and do it. If it works then great you just fixed your issue, if not you can rule it out and let them know it did not fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Tranny shudder... culprit is...?