3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi is great but it can't haul. The solution.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
sickdaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi is great but it can't haul. The solution.

(I have no doubt this has been covered but I searched and didn't find anything specific to my question)

-My previous truck was a 96 Ram 4x4 with the 5.2 and the power/torque was pretty well matched to it's hauling ability.

Now I have an 04 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 5.7 that I've had for a year and half. It has plenty of power but a 1/2 ton suspension that doesn't match the engine (imo).

I'm a contractor who is just starting out so upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton isn't an option right now. I'm just looking to upgrade the rear suspension for the time being to better suit my needs. I'm tired of loading it with a few bundles of shingles or half the sheetrock I need only to find that I'm on the bump-stops.
Are $100 helper springs my best option or is there something better.
-I don't care about how it looks.
-I don't care about ride quality.
-I'll sacrifice perfection for price at this point but I don't want to do any damage to the truck.

Any help would be great.
Thanks Guys.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airbags, you can get a lot out of em for a $200 set...

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM
sickdaze

Thanks, is there a particular brand or brands that you would suggest? And/Or what should I look for when buying a set?

Also, what are the advantages of airbags over Add-A-Leaf's or Helper springs?
Basically, are there advantages to airbags that justify spending double the money?

I really appreciate the response Pyro.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much to do you want to put in the bed? I had 1600 lbs of slatwall back there and it basically leveled out but didn't sag.

I used a set of $25 helper springs from AutoZone on my old 92 GMC truck. They worked wonders and you can't beat the price or quick installation.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
shadow11
Veteran

Get these bags http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...ht_1781wt_1165 they work great and just bolt on. Only takes about an hour to install. Then get this compressor http://www.amazon.com/25592-Controll...641766&sr=8-11 I just installed this yesterday and it is great. You can adjust how much air is in the bags and it comes with a low pressure sensor. Also you can get it on Amazon for only $99 with the code AIRLIFT.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
sickdaze

I might be mistaken but my assumption is, that the rear suspension on my truck is geared toward a ride quality that would satisfy most buyers and/or the abilities of the 4.7L engine.
Since ride quality isn't an issue for me and the 5.7 has additional hp/tq, I'd like to be able to put as much weight as possible in the bed without compromising safety.

Also, is it unrealistic to expect to be able to pull a skidsteer short distances (in tow/haul) with beefed up suspension. I don't know the limits of the factory brakes, transmission.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a thread that was recently discussed on airbags. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-of-truck.html

Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
sickdaze

Thanks JoeHemi,

Reading it now...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Bag it, and yes the trend in 1/2 ton trucks is towards ride quality as more and more people (and women) are buying trucks as daily drivers...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I can run 30#'s in my bags with the bed empty and it rides very good. Teeny bit bumpy, but nothing compared to add-a-leaf roughness.
FYI...30#'s in my bags holds the truck even with 1200#'s with no squat so you don't NEED a compressor and can run a descent amount of air regularly if you haul regularly with little sacrificed as far as ride quality. Ofcourse the more air the stiffer the ride will be when not matched with the payload. I've had my bags in for over a year now and went through a winter with no issue's at all. I have the 5,000lb Arnott set-up $225 shipped off Ebay

Quick Reply: Hemi is great but it can't haul. The solution.