3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hauling a fifth wheel with a Mega Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 AM
gota5.7hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling a fifth wheel with a Mega Cab?

I'm looking at getting an 2006 3500 MC diesel for hauling our trailer. I know there won't be any problems with the trailer we have, a bumper pull. However I'd like to upgrade to a fifth wheel in a few years. I've heard there can be turning problems when hauling with the mega cab but that this can be resolved using a floating hitch. Has anyone hauled a fifth wheel with the mega cab? Has anyone tried this style of hitch and would it work better with the mega cab? The previous owner of the truck hauled a fifth wheel with it but I also noticed a small dent on the upper part of the cab on one side. I'd hate to smack a new fifth wheel into the back end of this truck.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Bent
Veteran

Axtended pin-box on the trailer will help (not elliminate),
A slider hitch will stop it.

Sidwinder makes an automatic sliding hitch, it moves back as the relative angle to the truck changes during a turn - when straight, it slides up to just ahead of the drive axle.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
4XLgatorfan
Veteran

I haul a 35' fifth wheel with mine and have been for the last couple years. I have never had any issues. However, the manufacturing of my fifth wheel, Heartland, who is very proud to tell you, that there fifth wheels will turn 88-degrees (most in the industry) without a slide hitch. Although I have a Reese kwik slide (manual not automatic), I have never used it.

Busted rear windows do happen. I watched a guy last year at a RV park on the beach bust out the passenger side of rear window backing in, the park is very tight. Interesting thing about that, the driver side of the rear window was already duct-taped from where he busted it backing up at his house leaving for that same trip.

When you RV shop keep in mind to look/ask about the turning aspect, or sharpness of turn. All Heartland did was cut the corners off of the RV that overhang in the truck bed to get that 88-degress of turn.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM
gasguy
Professional

Get a slider. Best bang for the buck and just adds a few minutes to the backing process. Just installed a 16K last week and on our way to Oregon to pick up a 26' 5th wheel. Sidewinders are wicked but come with a hefty price tag, and as mentioned by others try to avoid extending the king pin.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
4XLgatorfan
Veteran

And I second gasguy's motion to not extend the king pin.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Bent
Veteran

What is the issue with using an extended pin-box?
(I'm missing something here)

Is it that if given a choice the slider is the preferred alternative - or is there a functional issue with an extended pin-box?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 AM
gasguy
Professional

Originally Posted by Bent
What is the issue with using an extended pin-box?.. - or is there a functional issue with an extended pin-box?
Extending the king pin changes pulling geometry and adds stress to the frame of the 5er. Two leading manufactures of king pin extenders warn that any extension greater than 6" can lead to mechanical failure and may void the warranty of the RV. Sliders give 10-18 inches of varible travel for manuvering, then return to correct position over the axel for towing. Cost isn't that much different. My 16k installed with a plug and brake controller was $1300. Pin extenders without air start around $300 and with air start around $800 without install. And you still need a 5th wheel hitch to pull it with. I'm new to the 5th wheel scene and it's forums like these that help expand towing knowledge.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Bent
Veteran

Gotcha.
I think we may be discussing different forms (different lengths) of pin extensions, my 2003 Forest River (8000 pound GVW) came with a factory pin box extension. I'll try to post a pic later to show relative length. I can't crank to 90 degrees with it - still too tight.

I agree that excessive forward length will result in excessive torque applied to the front frame section of the trailer though, so one should be cautious.

Last edited by Bent; 05-03-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
joshotter

I would also just save the time and money and invest in a slider. Extending the kingpin usually won't give enough clearance, so you'll end up with a slider regardless. Also like everyone else is saying it changes the angles and weight of the trailer. I also have a reese kwik slide and its very easy to use. When you need the slider you apply the trailer brakes pull the arm on the hitch and slowly pull forward. It locks automatically and your done. They do make auto slider's but they are 4X the price.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 AM
gota5.7hemi

Thanks everyone, I think this helps confirm my decision that this is the right truck. Has anyone heard of this floating style hitch? It uses airbags and automatically allows for differences in ground levels between the truck and fifth wheel, it's supposed to be better than the slider for issues such as these, but of course more expensive. All else fails it sounds like the slider will work just fine, thanks again for the tips!

Quick Reply: Hauling a fifth wheel with a Mega Cab?