3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 AM
jjsaw5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Parts

Recently just put a Flowmaster 40 series on my truck, figures AFTER i put it on I found this site. If i would have gotten here sooner i could have saved myself some moeny. My truck is running like crap with this on it and after reading what you guys have to say, i think i'll just go back to stock.

Anyway, i called the guy who put the exhaust on and he said he doesn't have my stock one anymore.

Anyone know where i can order one?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude don't bother. just unplug your battery first for five minutes. hook it back up and see how it runs . This makes your motor relearn existing conditions that the previous owner has changed.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM
jjsaw5

Alright i'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
jjsaw5

OK so i have done a lot of research this morning to what you suggested. I see that i can pull a fuse and turn the key a couple times(basically i know there is more involved)

But do I want to pull the PCM fuse or the ECM? I see references to both? Just looking for clarification!

Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
rocket23
Champion

I disconnect the battery, so you lose a few presets in the radio big deal. I actually didn't btw.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
nateroach
Veteran

if you go the battery method that Rocket is suggesting, you have to ground out the positive terminal to the neg, not just disconnect and let sit. you have to drain all the capacitors and other power storing devices within the PCM to reset it.

BTW, ECM (engine control module) PCM (power-train control Module)

PCM, (for some vehicles) would consist of both a TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ECM (engine control Module) while for other vehicles ( including newer RAMs) the ECM and TCM are integrated into one unit, making the ECM and PCM one in the same.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
jjsaw5

OK i think i am going to go the route suggested here.... in post #4 https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...eboot-wow.html

I'll pull the PCM fuse based on your info Nate.

If this doesnt work i think i will try the battery route. I feel more comfortable pulling the fuses.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 AM
jjsaw5

Once again thanks for the help! I went home yesterday and pulled the fuse and did what was suggested and the truck is running great now.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to hear, although you could have found yourself a better flowing muffler, they do sound great and don't flow much worse than stock.

Your truck will EVENTUALLY learn from it's sensors and drive better, however this is a gradual thing and the PCM uses "averages", meaning that the learning curve is much shorter on a newer vehicle with low miles as opposed to an older vehicle with higher mileage.

It's never a bad idea to "re-boot" the PCM after a change to your truck where sensors come into play...

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM
rocket23
Champion

What he said.^^^ I actually posted a remedy that wasn't complete bs. And the op could of used my version of the re-boot, and everything would be as it is now. I feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Quick Reply: Stock Parts